The Dark Tower Series

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Dark Tower Series

Post by halfwise on Sat May 06, 2017 10:36 pm

I saw the first two and didn't think they were so bad, though I'm not really a fan of the books. The general themes and impressions felt right to me.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:57 am

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:25 pm

I thought this was pretty funny:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_tower_2017

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/heres-what-critics-are-saying-about-the-dark-tower/

Even the Hobbit movies were fresh on RT, and they were absolute garbage. They thought they could make their film critic-proof by changing the race of the main character to a minority (a la female Ghostbusters), but it still bombed. That just makes their failure even more satisfying.

This is the actual ending of the film: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6r9jol/review_megathread_the_dark_tower/dl3owzx/?utm_content=permalink&utm_medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=movies

"Roland becomes Jake's new surrogate father and the two stay in New York, with a chance to explore more of mid-world, and have adventures together as a new family after Roland kills the Man in Black and decides that the Tower is safe for good and there's no reason to explore it any further."

It sounds like a joke, but that's the ending! King threw his whole hearted endorsement behind the movie with all it's changes, and this is the result? He's pretty much dead to me. I want to see IT in September, but right now I don't even want to look at anything that has "Stephen King" plastered on it.
bungobaggins
The Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Bungo! Hoped to see you around here for some DT discussions. Won't read the ending spoiler just yet, but I'm going to see it when I can (won't be released until the 18th here). Looks pretty shitty from the trailers, though.

Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:54 pm

Bungo's Back!   cheers   Good to see you around again, dude.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:36 pm

{{Yeah reviews seem to be panning this- main complaints seems to be a complete lack of imagination and skipping over major plot events from the books as if they were nothing.

Oh, and good to see our Mayor back again cheers Good to see you Bungo. pub }}}

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2678c57O-0LUEROYml2NTFEUTQ

PDF Version (courtesy of Amarie) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-1_FdCbmY2-dC1MbXFOVl9UNm8/view?usp=sharing

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Wave Good to see you drop by Bungo.

I haven't read the books and know nothing about the plot, but judging by the trailer the movie looks like a generic, tonally confused mess, though having read The Stand I do think Matthew McConaughey is
Spoiler:
a good choice for Randall Flagg.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 pm

@malick

It might have been a good choice if the material had been closer to the source material, or if this had been an actual adaptation of the books.

The bits of dialogue I hear from him in the trailer sound very cheesy.

"Everyone that walks with you dies by my hand." What? No, everyone that walks with Roland dies because of Roland's blind ambition.

I'm watching what fans are saying online, and there are plenty of people that are taking the apologist stance, but a lot have acknowledged that the film is bad. It feels a lot like the Hobbit movies all over again.

I haven't seen it, I was never planning on seeing it, and I'm not giving them any of my money. I know enough about the film now, and I knew enough about it before they even started filming that this was not intended for people like me who want to see the book adapted properly. I did see a couple movies this summer (Guardians 2 and Apes 3) both which I really enjoyed, so I don't see the point in going to a movie that's just going to piss me off.

It looks like I'll have to come back in a couple weeks to hear Ringo's thoughts.

-peace
bungobaggins
The Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:10 am

{{Couple of weeks?! Mad Don't be a stranger Bungo we miss you. pub }}

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2678c57O-0LUEROYml2NTFEUTQ

PDF Version (courtesy of Amarie) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-1_FdCbmY2-dC1MbXFOVl9UNm8/view?usp=sharing

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:45 pm

First reviews coming in over here... worse than I thought. Might not see it after all

Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:40 am

I don't think I'll bother! There's just too many other far better movies out right now.

I'm nearly done with It, so I'm quite curious as to how the feature film version will turn out. That I may go see. Has anyone read that?

Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 pm

@Ringo That's too bad, but I doubt the reviews over where you are would vary much from the reviews over here. Although I wanted to hear what you think about the movie, I think it's best if everyone votes with their wallet.

@Forest I did read most of IT a long time ago, never got back to it. From the trailers it looks like the story will not include the main characters as adults? Looking at IMDB there are no actors listed for adult versions of the children. This would be a good change IMO as it would streamline the story and may have more of a "Stand by Me" feel to it.
bungobaggins
The Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:14 am

With how this Dark Tower film has turned out, I am cautious about the It movie. I think I like the change too, because the adult versions of the kids are mostly there in the book to highlight the differences between childhood and adulthood: what you lose and what you gain as you grow older.

I don't think the adult versions are very important for the plot of the "It", and so removing the adults shouldn't hurt the horror elements of the story.

Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Back to top Go down