Favourite computer games of all time. [2]

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Favourite computer games of all time. [2]

Post by malickfan on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 am

Read a rumour the other day they might be remastering the original three Spyro The Dragon games for PS4 next year, which (coupled with the release of Red Dead 3) might be enough to persuade me to upgrade to the next gen.

The Spyro games are quite simplistic and dated by today's standards (being nearly 20 years old) and I'm not so sure they'd find much of an audience today (not least because the crappy sequels and endless spinoffs have rather tarnished the brand i.m.o) but were a huge part of my childhood gaming, great, innocent fun with solid level design and colourful artwork and a good balance between tricky platformer and bash and crash combat, I still have the original PS1 versions knocking around somewhere (or I did last time I checked) and dig them out every few years for a blast of nostalgia, I had previously read various rights issues made the chance of a remaster very unlikely, but I'm going to hope there is some truth in these rumours/theories as a HD remaster would be wonderful (though also kinda weird, hard to believe it's been 15+ years since I first got those games...)

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:08 am

{{{Visiting a nice ring world in ED }}

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:08 am

{{{Had to get a lift from Nagual in ED due to excessive drunkenness! drunken Impressive ship Shocked Contains some swearing!}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:25 am

{{Been mucking about in Skyrim and just started a new game. As its the strart of a new game the locations should be mainly familiar to anyone who has played through the games first few quests.
Main stuff on the visuals here: Vivid landscapes, noble skyrim, majestic mountains, nordic snow, better snow, realistic water 2, simply bigger trees, verdant grass, better roads, vivid weathers, realistic lighting overhaul, static mesh improvement mod, Nvidea ENB, UNP body, RS Children and Prince and Pauper, rustic clothing and a ton of improved clutter mods.

Pictures are in spoilers just to save loading up every time you come to the page. }}

Spoiler:

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:44 am

Baltimore Convention Center in Minecraft. Still very much unfinished. This is based on a real structure, the former home of Otakon from 1999 to 2016. The majority of this work was done over the course of about six to eight weeks this spring. At this point it's unlikely that I will come back to it anytime soon, but I wanted to at least share some screenshots since this was a fairly major endeavor. Smile

Overhead view of the more finished half of the convention center.

I built this in a superflat world so I had enough space, but in order to get the slope you see I had to use WorldEdit to clear away tens of thousands of blocks (extending far enough so that the edge of the landscaped area is beyond rendering range) even before excavating out the basement/foundation of the actual building.

Traffic island and entrance to the Charles Street lobby. In real life there are curbs but Minecraft doesn't have enough fine detail to really depict that. Ice cream trucks would park here on Friday and Saturday nights during the con.

Ground level view of the Charles Street lobby. The doors to the center-right lead to the video game room, while the doors to the left (mostly obscured by the stairs) lead to Hall A (see below).

View of the lobby from the mezzanine. The space in front of the fountains was a popular spot for cosplay photoshoots.

Trying to adapt the RL handicap access ramp to Minecraft, which doesn't have ramp blocks and is all right angles instead of the curves of the real thing, was a real pain.

Walkway between the outdoor terrace and the Charles Street lobby. The doorway in the center of this image (sliding glass doors IRL) was generally kept locked IIRC.

Better view of the terrace. I never finished adding vegetation; the real thing had quite a bit.

Another view of the inside. This level (the 300 level) had a lot of the panel rooms, but I didn't get around to building those. You can also see that the roof is made of glass blocks (with carpet on top of them). This was done so that sunlight could pass through unhindered. Poor interior lighting was a major concern in both this and the Hogwarts build.

Looking down from the 300 level towards the walkway that, in real life, snaked between hotels and office buildings until it reached the Inner Harbor.

Exterior view. You can see the carpet roofing here.

Back (south-facing) side of the building. The real one is only marginally more exciting than in my model.

Hall A, one of the smallest of the exhibition halls on the lowest (100) level. During most (maybe all) of the years that I attended this was the largest video screening room, and was therefore much darker than in this image. I watched Evangelion 3.0 with about 2000 people in this room in 2013.

The combined Halls B and C, which was the video game room during the last several years of Otakon in Baltimore. The reason the exhibition halls are so bright, despite being underground, is that the floor is entirely glowstone covered in grey carpet to resemble concrete. Credit belongs to Baingil for this suggestion.

This is the same level as the mezzanine (200 level), but near the western end of the eastern half of the building. Because of the slope of the land, it is at ground level here.

Same area, looking the other way. You can see the steps leading downstairs to Hall D...

...which housed the rave on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as performances by some of the musical guests. My sister always spent a lot of time at the rave, and some people attended the con basically just so they could get in to dance. It was pretty fun but it always conflicted with late-night panels so I didn't spend as much time there.

Sharp Street, which runs beneath the skywalk and divides the two halves of the convention center (though they are continuous at the 100 level, which is entirely below ground this far west.

Wider view of Sharp Street, also showing the unfinished state of the western half of the convention center.

The even more unfinished part. The ceilings of the 100 level exhibition halls are in place, but the superstructure of the building is not (yet) constructed. As you could see from the above pictures of the 200 level, interior lighting in Minecraft is pretty poor if you don't make the whole floor glow. This half of the building also has a 400 level so there would be a lot of space (with more in it than the 200 level) in deep shadow if I continued.

Stairs leading down towards the dealer's room, which is the largest of the exhibition halls.

Looking down the dealer's room from the end that you enter by (which is the south end).

Dealer's room from the other direction. I dunno if the model can really convey how massive the thing is. Walking in for the first time in my first year, and seeing how full of vendors and stalls and signs and everything that it is during the con, was a pretty awesome (in both senses of the word) experience.

The adjacent artist alley (the ceiling of which could be glimpsed, alongside that of the dealer's room, in the screencap a couple pictures up).

Another view of the incomplete area. The gold blocks along the edge of the building are there to help me keep count of how long it is, and the quartz blocks were to mark out where additional walls and such would go.
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

http://nolondil.tumblr.com/essays

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:25 am

{{{ I have been lucky enough between birthday and other things to have got three new VR games to play of late and 1 older game that is not VR, exactly, but sort of is, and can be modded to play in VR.

Here's my thoughts on them.

Rez Infinite- old playstation 2 hands might be familiar with this one- its an on-rails shooter in a sort of retro vectory setting, played out to thumping sets of dance tracks. The gameplay could not be simpler, as you hurtle forwards you can target enemies singly or in groups by holding down the fire button, when you let the button go you release your fire and wipe out anything you have targeted. Power ups come in the form of white glowy things which when you fill up a bank of them 'evolves' your main character to a higher stage- this basically acts as lives- if you take a hit you 'de-evolve' to the previous stage- back to your starting one, get hit again and you die. Red glowy things on the other hand are your basic smart bomb.
At the end of each of the games 5 levels there is a unique boss to fight and these are some of the most fun parts to play with imaginative and engaging enemies.

The VR version plays much the same as the 2d version with the exception that you can simply target enemies by holding down fire and looking at them- very useful for when enemies are flooding in from behind or from the sides.

Its simple but addictive, if not as challenging as it should be- which does bring me onto a bit of crabbit- you have to complete all 5 levels to unlock the bonus levels- and then you have to play through the entire game start to finish, all 5 levels to unlock each of the bonus levels individually- the main difference between these versions being different colour schemes and increasing difficulty. My problem here is that I had to complete the main game, then play through it all again in two other bonus modes before I unlocked a level where I found the difficulty challenging and so more fun. Something as straightforward as increased difficulty and enemy patterns should not be hidden away behind about 2-3 hours of game to unlock.

Besides the main game which is the same as the 2d version there are some bonus 'lost levels' and a modern 'update' for VR, which is shorter at only a few levels, prettier and full of particle effects making it very reminiscent of a Jeff Minter game at times and allows for freedom of movement in any direction, you travel in the direction you are looking, rather than it being on rails like the original- and its really good, just disappointingly short.

Over all its great fun, addictive old skool shooter action that works well in VR as a converted 2d game, and very well as a, albeit way too short, updated dedicated VR version. Maybe we will get a Rez 2 for VR that fulfills fully the potential here.

Game two was Star Trek Bridge Crew.
This is a single or multiplayer game which lets you take one of a number of bridge positions on a starfleet ship. Its set in the Abrams version of events sadly but its still hard not feel a swell of something when you begin on a shuttle craft rounding  space dock to reveal your ship.
If you've ever played the classic Star Trek Bridge Commander this is much the same thing but in VR and with multiplayer. I cant comment on the multiplayer yet as I am making my way through the campaign playing as the Captain.
As Captain you can issue orders to the various bridge positions like helm, or tactical, or engineering, or you can take over those positions directly if you wish too.
Controls are straight forward enough- in multiplayer you issue commands just by talking, in single player its all done in pop up holographic windows, activated by tapping the buttons on your chair arms. It all works well enough though you can get a bit cluttered with holo screens all around your chair in the heat of things. Most of the time your view is limited through the viewscreen though you can switch to an exterior view fixed above the ships main dish. I haven't found much use for it except to occasionally look at the pretties.
I cant comment too much on this one yet as I haven't played enough of the campaign, so far its quite slow paced in its gameplay which i dont mind so much, but the story is not as good as that of the aging Bridge Commander, and in particular the ai shipmates are nowhere near as interesting, engaging, or properly written, being just bots basically filling in for real people.
The touch controls work very well but overall if Bridge Commander were available in VR., Id rather play it again.

The third new game is Lone Echo. This one so far is very impressive. It's from occulus themselves and its very polished, both graphically, it looks stunning, with natural realistic models and good lighting and in its story.
You play an android serving on a mining station orbiting Saturn and are second in command essentially to the stations only human personal, its Captain. She has nicknamed you Jack. The entire game is set in a no gravity environment and you move about mainly by just grabbing surfaces and pushing off them, or one of the many handles placed all over the station to aid movement- its incredibly natural very quickly, and the touch controllers are great at accurately portraying where surfaces are- when you reach out a hand towards  a wall to push off it it's always exactly where your brain is telling you it should be in relation to your body.
But the highlight of it so far is how well written the two main characters are, and their relationship as a mysterious anomaly on Saturn begin to threaten the station.
Beautiful looking with engaging leads,interesting environments with lots to interact with, an innovative and very successful locomotion system.
Overall on what I have played so far its a fantastic Vr game and experience and shows off a lot of the good things about VR gaming and what makes it unique and special- you simply could not have this game working in the fashion it does in 2d.

Lastly an older game with a new mod. Alien Isolation now has a simple fan made mod, just two little files, you pop into your installation folder to make it run in VR.
In one of the weirder moves by a games company Alien Isolation was meant to have a VR mode, and indeed it does, except they decided at the last minute simply not to activate it- this mod activates it again.
Now I found this game in the dark with headphones on in 2d pretty damn tense and scary at time, setting the heart pounding- its nothing to the experience in virtual reality- first just walking about the locations is fantastic, like being on the actual Alien set- but when you actually encounter the alien, well there is no other way to say it, its fucking terrifying! Not only that, something which just doesn't come across in 2d, or even in the cinema really- they are fucking huge hulking things that look easily capable of tearing you limb from limb with no effort as they tower over you.
Sadly no touch controller support yet, though its being worked on by the modder, but it does support the controller option.
If you like your blood pressure through the roof and your heart pounding against your chest then Alien Isolation in VR is the game for you.

}}}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:28 am

{{Some of my personal favourite snapshots Ive taken whilst playing modded Skyrim SE, in no particular order- click on an image to see a better quality version- bunged them in spoiler brackets just to save on loading them all at once }}

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Back to top