Post by halfwise on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Don't get me started.....

---

---

erp...

---

grhff...

---

Oh, OKAY, I'll repeat a vent from long ago, 'cause the steam just keeps building up. Every other deviation from the book the scriptwriters at least gave a reason for. So whether or not you agreed with the reasons they do get credit for having some attempt at logic behind what they did.

But they NEVER explained why they *&%$!!ed up Denethor so badly. I got the feeling they actually believed that was a good condensation of the character. So it's the ONE thing in the films I can NOT forgive.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Re: Tolkien in General

Post by Orwell on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:35 am

But they NEVER explained why they *&%$!!ed up Denethor so badly. I got the feeling they actually believed that was a good condensation of the character. So it's the ONE thing in the films I can NOT forgive.

No, nor barely anything else either! Banghead

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom: H. L. Mencken

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:06 pm

chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Not sure about that at all- christian rock band for the music? Focusing on Tolkiens Christianising of Lewis? Sounds like a bad propoganda film- I dont mind a proper study of the men and the part their beliefs played in their lives Carpenters biagraphy does a reasoned job of it) but this seems to have a bit of a Church agenda about it.

"A lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero they didn't give him a gun, they gave him a screwdriver so he could fix things. They didn't give him a tank, or a warship, or an x-wing fighter, they gave him a call box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower, or pointy ears or a heat ray, they gave him an extra heart. And that's an extraordinary thing.
There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor."- Steven Moffat

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Not sure about that at all- christian rock band for the music? Focusing on Tolkiens Christianising of Lewis? Sounds like a bad propoganda film- I dont mind a proper study of the men and the part their beliefs played in their lives Carpenters biagraphy does a reasoned job of it) but this seems to have a bit of a Church agenda about it.

Nooooooooooooooooooo! WWI - maybe - and Linguistics - absolutely - and the Old Eddas - without a doubt ---- his Christianity is NOT the HEART of HIM (JRRT), but just PART of IT (his Life spent in Faery).

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom: H. L. Mencken

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:54 pm

true, but his christianity greatly affected Lewis, and I have a feeling this film is leaning more toward Lewis anyway

Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:17 am

A film about Tolkien and Lewis? A doco film, or a drama?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:28 pm

What about a comedy staring the Chuckle Brothers? I'd watch that, for sure

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Location: It's nice when you have enough hair to use as a pillow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:00 pm

I'll stick to Cheech and Chong.

Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:49 am

Tolkien & the Environment

http://isucinema.com/tolkien

chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:57 pm

A grandson of JRR Tolkien and a descendant of Charles Dickens are to collaborate on two new fantasy books for children.
Poet Michael Tolkien, the eldest grandson of the The Hobbit author, will write two novels based on stories his grandfather read to him as a child.
Gerald Dickens, the great-great grandson of Charles, will narrate the audiobook versions.
It tells the story of two children who set out to use an evil enchanter's wishing chain of stones to save their alpine valley, only to fall into trouble.
Michael Tolkien was introduced to the tales in the 1940s and 1950s as a child, and he later read them to his own children.
He said he decided to pay tribute to the now-neglected tale and to "recreate the spirit of the original in new dress".- BBC news

"A lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero they didn't give him a gun, they gave him a screwdriver so he could fix things. They didn't give him a tank, or a warship, or an x-wing fighter, they gave him a call box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower, or pointy ears or a heat ray, they gave him an extra heart. And that's an extraordinary thing.
There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor."- Steven Moffat

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel on Wed May 02, 2012 2:44 am

I was reading up on Tolkien on Wikipedia, and I came across this quote of his when someone asked for the rights to make a film script, his response:

"I would ask them to make an effort of imagination sufficient to understand the irritation (and on occasion the resentment) of an author, who finds, increasingly as he proceeds, his work treated as it would seem carelessly in general, in places recklessly, and with no evident signs of any appreciation of what it is all about"

Oh PJ, would you get an earful if he was still alive!

Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Wed May 02, 2012 6:06 am

Yep ... and with him gone, his Faithful MUST continue to fight against The New Shadow (PJ), however hopeless the task may seem.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Tue May 15, 2012 4:25 am

Some old footage from the BCC.

chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Thu May 17, 2012 4:21 am

chris63