Game of Thrones [2]

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Bluebottle on Sat May 21, 2016 6:05 pm

No, I can understand that. Razz But from what I've heard in passing about the storylines, (I expect if it was up to them it would be the Ramsay and Tyrion show at this point) I think I'm glad I stopped. Wink

From what I've picked up the showrunners seemed bored with the story, and, as I read someone intimate somewhere else, are writing up to/expanding their favourite bits at the expense of the rest of the story. So, they'll have Ramsay be evil but badass, and Tyrion monologuing at people etc.

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Adventurer

Posts : 9378
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by halfwise on Sat May 21, 2016 8:43 pm

Along the same lines with Ringo, it's still enjoyable if you leave off demanding that it be the books. Now that they are completely unmoored from the books I don't blame them too much for playing up the fan favorites, though it's bound to get them into deep trouble since they aren't thinking it through as much as George is. Think of it more as them playing in the same playground.

If George were less random with plot, or as good a writer of monologue as Tolkien, I'd probably be raising holy heck too. Right now so long as it doesn't turn into a too much of the Tyrion/Ramsay show I'll be happy.

_________________
Halfwise, son of Halfwit. Brother of Nitwit, son of Halfwit. Half brother of Figwit.
Then it gets complicated...
avatar
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Posts : 12882
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : rustic broom closet in farthing of Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by chris63 on Mon May 23, 2016 5:38 am

Nooooooooo tell me that just didn't happen.


_________________
avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7221
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by chris63 on Tue May 24, 2016 8:29 am


_________________
avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7221
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by chris63 on Tue May 24, 2016 9:18 am

Hold the door, hold the door
Hold the door, hold the door
....Hold door, hold door
....Hold door, hold door
...........Hodor
...........Hodor

_________________
avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7221
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Mrs Figg on Tue May 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Sad  that bloody destroyed me.

_________________
avatar
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Posts : 21816
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 87
Location : Holding The Door

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Bluebottle on Tue May 24, 2016 6:44 pm

Now that we’ve established Time Traveling on GoT, does this mean it’s possible Talisa really is a field nurse warped in from the future?
http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/144859413407/now-that-weve-established-time-traveling-on-got

lol!

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Adventurer

Posts : 9378
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Lancebloke on Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 am

Mrs Figg wrote:Sad  that bloody destroyed me.

Made me want to punch Bran for being such a little bitch.


Last edited by Lancebloke on Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Lancebloke
Adventurer

Posts : 3934
Join date : 2012-04-10
Age : 34
Location : Essex

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by chris63 on Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 am


_________________
avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7221
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by chris63 on Wed May 25, 2016 10:19 am


_________________
avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7221
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by halfwise on Wed May 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Jorah: Laughing

_________________
Halfwise, son of Halfwit. Brother of Nitwit, son of Halfwit. Half brother of Figwit.
Then it gets complicated...
avatar
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Posts : 12882
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : rustic broom closet in farthing of Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by halfwise on Wed May 25, 2016 12:46 pm

In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, the producers revealed that when George R.R. Martin gave them a rough plan for how the books will end, he included "three holy sh-- moments." One of these moments was Hodor's (Kristian Nairn) origin story, which played out in tragic fashion on Sunday's episode, and another was Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane) sacrificing his daughter Shireen (Kerry Ingram).

http://www.tvguide.com/news/game-of-thrones-shireen-death-jon-snow-resurrection-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/

Article goes on to speculate how Shireen's death may be handled differently in the books.

_________________
Halfwise, son of Halfwit. Brother of Nitwit, son of Halfwit. Half brother of Figwit.
Then it gets complicated...
avatar
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Posts : 12882
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : rustic broom closet in farthing of Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Mrs Figg on Wed May 25, 2016 1:58 pm

halfwise wrote:
In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, the producers revealed that when George R.R. Martin gave them a rough plan for how the books will end, he included "three holy sh-- moments." One of these moments was Hodor's (Kristian Nairn) origin story, which played out in tragic fashion on Sunday's episode, and another was Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane) sacrificing his daughter Shireen (Kerry Ingram).

http://www.tvguide.com/news/game-of-thrones-shireen-death-jon-snow-resurrection-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/

Article goes on to speculate how Shireen's death may be handled differently in the books.

if that's true Halfy,
Spoiler:
I prefer the way the show handled the death of Shireen for the very reason you gave in another post about the death of Stannis and his weary reaction to Brienne. it was all such a waste and they died pretty much for nothing which may not be very satisfying but its more real and full of pathos. I remember all the moaning about the death of Shireen in the show, but it looks like martin was going to sacrifice her anyway and in a more bombastic way. having Melisandre create Jon/Azora Hai through the death of Shireen is way more dramatic, but I prefer the understated way Jon came back.

_________________
avatar
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Posts : 21816
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 87
Location : Holding The Door

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Mrs Figg on Wed May 25, 2016 2:02 pm

halfwise wrote:Jorah: Laughing

Sad don't Sad No I love you

_________________
avatar
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Posts : 21816
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 87
Location : Holding The Door

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd on Thu May 26, 2016 6:10 am

Mrs Figg wrote:
halfwise wrote:
In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, the producers revealed that when George R.R. Martin gave them a rough plan for how the books will end, he included "three holy sh-- moments." One of these moments was Hodor's (Kristian Nairn) origin story, which played out in tragic fashion on Sunday's episode, and another was Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane) sacrificing his daughter Shireen (Kerry Ingram).

http://www.tvguide.com/news/game-of-thrones-shireen-death-jon-snow-resurrection-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/

Article goes on to speculate how Shireen's death may be handled differently in the books.

if that's true Halfy,
Spoiler:
I prefer the way the show handled the death of Shireen for the very reason you gave in another post about the death of Stannis and his weary reaction to Brienne. it was all such a waste and they died pretty much for nothing which may not be very satisfying but its more real and full of pathos. I remember all the moaning about the death of Shireen in the show, but it looks like martin was going to sacrifice her anyway and in a more bombastic way. having Melisandre create Jon/Azora Hai through the death of Shireen is way more dramatic, but I prefer the understated way Jon came back.

Yeah Shireen being burnt alive was really just a joy to watch (or hear). Quite satisfying dramatically too for her death to happen for NO REASON AT ALL.

Not!

_________________
Boar is badger, named after wood,
Not after forest but trees.
Where did you play on a rainy day?
Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
avatar
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Posts : 3453
Join date : 2013-11-02
Age : 26
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Mrs Figg on Thu May 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:
halfwise wrote:
In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, the producers revealed that when George R.R. Martin gave them a rough plan for how the books will end, he included "three holy sh-- moments." One of these moments was Hodor's (Kristian Nairn) origin story, which played out in tragic fashion on Sunday's episode, and another was Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane) sacrificing his daughter Shireen (Kerry Ingram).

http://www.tvguide.com/news/game-of-thrones-shireen-death-jon-snow-resurrection-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/

Article goes on to speculate how Shireen's death may be handled differently in the books.

if that's true Halfy,
Spoiler:
I prefer the way the show handled the death of Shireen for the very reason you gave in another post about the death of Stannis and his weary reaction to Brienne. it was all such a waste and they died pretty much for nothing which may not be very satisfying but its more real and full of pathos. I remember all the moaning about the death of Shireen in the show, but it looks like martin was going to sacrifice her anyway and in a more bombastic way. having Melisandre create Jon/Azora Hai through the death of Shireen is way more dramatic, but I prefer the understated way Jon came back.

Yeah Shireen being burnt alive was really just a joy to watch (or hear). Quite satisfying dramatically too for her death to happen for NO REASON AT ALL.

Not!

Actually you are totally wrong. Very Happy  This is no worse than the real history of hundreds of thousands of innocent women being burnt at the stake for being 'witches' or millions of people being burnt at the stake by religious fanatics over the centuries. ALL these deaths were for nothing! that's the commentary they are making, that religious nutters kill for no good reason, think they have the monopoly on truth and are completely ruthless. Or are you saying the sacrifice of Shireen can be justified by the birth of Azora Hai? that Martin sacrificing Shireen suddenly makes it acceptable?? I think not. What reason could there be for sacrificing Shireen? explain please because I happen to think sacrificing children NEVER has a reason whether Martin has a plausible plot device reason or not.

_________________
avatar
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Posts : 21816
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 87
Location : Holding The Door

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat May 28, 2016 7:45 pm

First off, wrong about what? I said that it was a joy to watch, albeit sarcastically. So are you stating that it was not a joy to watch? (In that case I agree! Smile )

I'm guessing you're just saying that I'm wrong for disliking the death of Shireen. It was for me a very unpleasant watching experience. That is not debatable and I can't be wrong about it. I do remember clearly thinking, "fuck that".

Anyway, that's cool that you liked it. At least one of us did.

_________________
Boar is badger, named after wood,
Not after forest but trees.
Where did you play on a rainy day?
Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
avatar
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Posts : 3453
Join date : 2013-11-02
Age : 26
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat May 28, 2016 8:00 pm

"This is no worse than the real history of hundreds of thousands of innocent women being burnt at the stake for being 'witches' or millions of people being burnt at the stake by religious fanatics over the centuries." 
-Mrs. Figg (emphasis mine)

I agree that it's pretty obvious that Martin got his inspiration for the Lord of Light's followers burning people from real-life historical burnings. Typically enough he has flipped things around a bit, having a witch perform the burning, but either way I see the connection, yes. 

I just wanted to say something real quick about the numbers involved here. From a very brief internet search, this quote came up on Wikipedia:

"Today, based on meticulous study of trial records, ecclesiastical and inquisitorial registers and so on, as well as on the utilization of modern statistical methods, the specialist research community on witchcraft has reached an agreement for roughly 40,000–50,000 people executed for witchcraft in Europe in total,[62] and by no means all of them executed by being burned alive. Furthermore, it is solidly established that the peak period of witch-hunts was the century 1550–1650, with a slow increase preceding it, from the 15th century onward, as well as a sharp drop following it, with "witch-hunts" having basically fizzled out by the first half of the 18th century.[63]"


62.  A lowest bound of 30,000 and a highest upper bound of 100,000 still within acceptability, but with a minority of professional researchers supporting either of them.


The majority of those burned for witchcraft were female, but a minority were men. Just saying.

_________________
Boar is badger, named after wood,
Not after forest but trees.
Where did you play on a rainy day?
Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
avatar
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Posts : 3453
Join date : 2013-11-02
Age : 26
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Mrs Figg on Sat May 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:First off, wrong about what? I said that it was a joy to watch, albeit sarcastically. So are you stating that it was not a joy to watch? (In that case I agree! Smile )

I'm guessing you're just saying that I'm wrong for disliking the death of Shireen. It was for me a very unpleasant watching experience. That is not debatable and I can't be wrong about it. I do remember clearly thinking, "fuck that".

Anyway, that's cool that you liked it. At least one of us did.

well I don't think anyone in their right mind could say its a joy to watch. and of course I didn't like it. But that's not the problem. the problem is some people blaming the show for doing something that Martin will probably do anyway or would have done if the show hadn't done it first, after all he can still edit his books. But Martin has said he has sacrificed Shireen, therefore whats all the show hating bellyaching for. Not you personally, I mean in general on the interwebz, I fully respect your opinion. Very Happy  and that's NOT said sarcastically btw. NOBODY likes the image of children being burnt to a crisp, its unpleasant, but that's not the issue I have.

_________________
avatar
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Posts : 21816
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 87
Location : Holding The Door

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Mrs Figg on Sat May 28, 2016 8:26 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:"This is no worse than the real history of hundreds of thousands of innocent women being burnt at the stake for being 'witches' or millions of people being burnt at the stake by religious fanatics over the centuries." 
-Mrs. Figg (emphasis mine)

I agree that it's pretty obvious that Martin got his inspiration for the Lord of Light's followers burning people from real-life historical burnings. Typically enough he has flipped things around a bit, having a witch perform the burning, but either way I see the connection, yes. 

I just wanted to say something real quick about the numbers involved here. From a very brief internet search, this quote came up on Wikipedia:

"Today, based on meticulous study of trial records, ecclesiastical and inquisitorial registers and so on, as well as on the utilization of modern statistical methods, the specialist research community on witchcraft has reached an agreement for roughly 40,000–50,000 people executed for witchcraft in Europe in total,[62] and by no means all of them executed by being burned alive. Furthermore, it is solidly established that the peak period of witch-hunts was the century 1550–1650, with a slow increase preceding it, from the 15th century onward, as well as a sharp drop following it, with "witch-hunts" having basically fizzled out by the first half of the 18th century.[63]"


62.  A lowest bound of 30,000 and a highest upper bound of 100,000 still within acceptability, but with a minority of professional researchers supporting either of them.


The majority of those burned for witchcraft were female, but a minority were men. Just saying.

Razz Quibblemeister General.

_________________
avatar
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Posts : 21816
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 87
Location : Holding The Door

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sun May 29, 2016 2:06 am

Razz

_________________
Boar is badger, named after wood,
Not after forest but trees.
Where did you play on a rainy day?
Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
avatar
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Posts : 3453
Join date : 2013-11-02
Age : 26
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Mrs Figg on Sun May 29, 2016 5:00 pm

I must admit that Brian Blessed in Blackadder is my idea of how Robert Baratheon should have looked and acted.


_________________
avatar
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Posts : 21816
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 87
Location : Holding The Door

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:30 am

I'm going to go see episode 6 tonight. We'll see how it goes!

_________________
Boar is badger, named after wood,
Not after forest but trees.
Where did you play on a rainy day?
Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
avatar
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Posts : 3453
Join date : 2013-11-02
Age : 26
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:58 am

Well, I was reading a bit about something GoT related, and I came across a comment that back in Season 3 Sansa didn't know what the crude word for dung was (shite). 

In that scene with Tyrion where she talks about "sheep-shift" I had always thought that "shift" was an old word for sheep droppings. Apparently, she just said "shift" instead of "shit". 

I don't know whether I'm smarter or dumber than the average viewer for whom, apparently, this was meant to be obvious.

Anyway, I just got back from watching episode 6. I liked this episode probably the most this season, thus far, because I was reminded of the things about the show that I like.
Spoiler:
I liked seeing people acting normally, as with Sam's family. I liked seeing Arya get over her Faceless Men obsession and go dig up Needle already. I liked seeing Benjen again, FINALLY, even though I do believe he is *not* Coldhands in the books. Which kind of sucks. Sad I liked being reminded of the Riverlands, and the Blackfish. The Frey's are just sooo much more interesting and rewarding villains than the Boltons. I'm sick to death of the Boltons, and being reminded that Walder Frey has a whole lot of pain and suffering due to his house makes me happy.

The stuff in King's Landing was pretty dumb, no surprise. Anything to do with the High Sparrow is kind of fated to suck it seems like. He really is one of my least favourite characters right now. 

I've been trying to place, for quite a long time, why it is that I don't like Danaery's dragons. I realized today that that reason was because they are really gross. I mean, there have been a lot of depictions of dragons over the centuries. Everything from odd creeping beasts:



to beautiful creatures like this one:



I understand that the showrunners want to set these dragons apart from the others that we have seen over the years. But by my foot, they are just so flipping ugly:



Like, bugger off you you hideous poop-monster, kind of ugly.




Blech. 

Reminds me of the diarrhea-snake from Ragnarok more than anything else:



And that shot inside it's mouth this episode?
Spoiler:

Totally gross. Tongue looks like a dog phallus, and that fire-hole looks like an octopus tentacle, or like a stomach ulcer. 



Perhaps it's part of the show's "realisticness" that its [fantasy] dragons have to be ugly and smelly. But I don't like it, either way.

_________________
Boar is badger, named after wood,
Not after forest but trees.
Where did you play on a rainy day?
Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
avatar
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Posts : 3453
Join date : 2013-11-02
Age : 26
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:21 am

{{{{Dont know GoT's world well enough to make all the comparisons myself or judge their merits, but still found this interesting, part 2 is not up yet}}}


_________________
Pure Publications is Reasonably Proud to Present the first ever Forumshire novel!

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 39395
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum