Tolkien related video's.

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tolkien related video's.

Post by Elthir on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Amarië wrote:eArendil sounds right. 4 syllables. GlOr-findel. 3 syllables, stress (?) on the first syllable. Quenya course on PT err DarkPlanet back in the days. Telleri rhymes with celery, I hate that fact and therefore can't forget about it...

But who ran this dark course Very Happy (sounds like dark horse)

rule in a nutshell for more than two syllable examples:

If the penult is long it attracts the primary stress (stress penult, second syllable from last)

If the penult is short the primary stress moves to the left (stress antepenult, third syllable from last)

And what makes a penult "long" in Quenya and Sindarin? A long vowel in it, a diphthong in it, a short vowel followed by two or more consonants.

Glorfindel and Earendil both have long penultimate syllables: stress penult (second from end)

Legolas, Telleri, Amarie all have short penultimate syllables: stess antepenult (third from end).

In Amarie for example, the penultimate syllable contains the short vowel i, it's not long, not a diphthong, and not followed by two or more consonants (here it's not followed by any consonants of course).
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Ahh... it was the days of irc and chatrooms, we followed the Quenya course made by Helge Fauskanger.

Edit: had lessons based on the course, would be more accurate.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

Today the Shire, DarkPlanet cat. Tomorrow... THE WORLD!

#amarieco
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm

halfwise wrote:Wait, explain the rule for 3-syllable Telleri going as TELleri while Glorfindel goes as glorFINdel.

Ah didn't see your post right away, sorry, but same as I explained to the fair Amarie above. Telleri has a short penultimate syllable...

... the vowel in the penult is short e, it's not a long vowel, not a diphthong, and followed by only one consonant, so primary stress moves to the antepenult (third syllable from the left).

Be careful though, for example, -th- is considered one consonant. Primary stress dEnethor...

... þink Deneþor Wink
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Oh how good it feels to shake some cobwebs from my brain Very Happy

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:51 pm

...and from my poor books...

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:05 pm

By the way, I'm borrowing some terminology, but Appendix E is arguably more easier... sorry, easier morely I mean.

Tolkien explains the stress:

"In words of two syllables it falls in practically all cases on the first syllable.

In longer words it falls on the last syllable but one, where that contains a long vowel, a diphthong, or a vowel followed by two (or more) consonants. Where the last syllable but one contains (as often) a short vowel followed by only one (or no) consonant, the stress falls on the syllable before it, the third from the end."

(...)

"Note that Sindarin dh, th, ch are single consonants and represent single letters in the original scripts."

JRRT Appendix E

I dunno why I just didn't start with that, dispensing with the "penult" like terms, though they sounded cool and possibly made me seem smarter... unless I used 'em wrong.
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top