UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Page 36 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36

Go down

Re: UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Post by Bluebottle on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 pm

As I gather this means two things:

First, a brexit deal must be voted on and passed by parliament before coming into effect.

"MPs voted to give Parliament a legal guarantee of a vote on the final Brexit deal struck with Brussels."

"it was backed by the Commons, meaning a new Act of Parliament will have to be passed before ministers can implement the withdrawal deal struck with Brussels."

However, second, art. 50 is still in effect, and unless it is withdrawn, which it can be, after the two year period ends, the UK will leave the EU without a exit agreement or a future trade deal.

Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 am

{{Means she could come back with a deal and parliament can reject it. Given the slim majority, and all the differing factions in her own party, not to mention keeping the DUP happy and the devolved administrations, its going to make her job even harder.
Now best she can say to Brussels is 'I agree to that but I'll need to check with Parliament first before I can say for definite.' And that will be the case for everything negotiated from now till the end. It has to go to a vote now, whatever deal she comes back with. }}}

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Yesterday at 9:12 am

{{This an interesting one- the Scottish fishing sector is one of the stronger proponents of Brexit in Scotland, mainly due to how awfully Westminster has negotiated the fishing tariffs over the decades with the EU (Scotland has 90% of the UK fishing fleet and fishing grounds but has never had any direct representation at the negotiations on fishing!).
But now with a hard Brexit seeming more likely and even possibly falling back on WTO rules they are not so happy.

The main problem is with shell fishing, a large and lucrative sector of our fishing market. Right now shellfish caught in Scottish waters can be on restaurant tables in the Mediterranean within 48 of being taken from the sea. This is hugely important for shellfish as they dont stay fresh for long and are dangerous once not fresh.
If we leave the customs union and internal market then we cant sell our product to mainland Europe without it first being checked over by health and safety types and vets in the countries being sold too- this obviously increases costs but more crucially greatly increases the time it takes. }}

' The Scottish Creel Fishermen’s Federation (SCFF), in a submission to Holyrood’s Rural Economy and Connectivity Committee, says the ramifications of a no-deal Brexit, with hard borders and tariffs, could make it pointless for Scotland’s fishermen to go out to sea.
SCFF’s economist suggests the cost of fishing could jump by between 40 and 90 per cent – making it too expensive to fish for shellfish.
“That would be a crying shame, as we have some of the world’s best shellfish,” SCFF national co-ordinator Alistair Sinclair told The National. “We’re all in a state of limbo, because there seems to be a power struggle in the Conservative Party in Whitehall.”
The SCFF also expresses fears about tariffs, through which the exporters of Scottish fish to another county would have to pay customs duties to make sure that country’s locally-produced fare has a price advantage. The organisation’s economist notes the tariffs applied by the EU on non-members without a specific trade deal range from zero per cent to over 80 per cent.
He wrote: “There is no doubt the food sector in the UK would be subject to very high tariffs. For fish and crustaceans the World Trade Organization (WTO) tariff would be nine per cent. For processed meat and fish the figure is 34 per cent.”
The SCFF says this will lead to sales of UK fish and crustaceans in the EU falling by 40 per cent. For sales of processed meat and fish the figure is closer to 90 per cent."- The National

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Today at 6:09 pm

Tbh, i'm past caring about Brexit now, thoroughly bored and fed up with this whole crapfest let's just hurry up and finish the damn thing, the sooner we get this crap over with the sooner we can go about trying to fix the mess it will create...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum