US General Election 2016

Page 5 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm perfectly comfortable saying I stand by every word of that statement. But I'd also like to add it consciously wasn't directed at anyone specifically.

bungobaggins wrote:That's really insulting, Blue. From that post I can tell you don't think much of me. Adios.

Now Bungo. What do I think of you? Not much you say. I'm not sure that that's true. There is something rather inspirering about inspired people, however droll it might sound. Seems you found an answer to a lot of things through a certain political figure of newer date. Must be exhilarating and interesting to think one has found some answers. There are a lot of difficult qiestions to life after all. I am sorry to say I think you've hitched your cart to the wrong horse, but that's life. I might have headstrong opnions on politics, because in my opinion the only way to approch setting up society is the one that best serves all. What best serves all, is up for debate of course.

If I can add one perspective to your views it is one of basic human rights and basic humanity. My hard feelings on this subject, not towards you, are to do with those. Because those values are not about politics for me. They are beyond and are fundamental.

And, as such, my fundamental view is that you don't play around with the freedom of expression or the press.


_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Adventurer

Posts : 9542
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Bluebottle on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:56 pm

I realize I might be coming across as a bit of an asshole. That part, at least, is not intentional. Razz

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Adventurer

Posts : 9542
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Bluebottle on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:25 am


_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Adventurer

Posts : 9542
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:03 pm

{{Maybe US folk can help out here- I was rather under the impression than the role of the First Lady was to be there at photo ops and to spend the rest of the time furthering good causes, charities, and promoting areas of society in which they have some personal interest- like the environment, or child poverty or something.

Have I got it wrong?

Cause the current First Lady is suing the Mirror over their claims she once worked as an escort. But thats not what I found revealing- its the reasoning giving by her lawyers for why these claims are damaging to her- and its not for moral or personal reasons!

'In the new filing Monday, the first lady's attorneys argue the report damaged her ability to profit off her high profile.
Mrs. Trump, the filing states, "had the unique, one-in-a-lifetime opportunity, as an extremely famous and well-known person, as well as a former professional model, brand spokesperson and successful businesswoman, to launch a broad-based commercial brand in multiple product categories, each of which could have garnered multi-million dollar business relationships for a multi-year term during which Plaintiff is one of the most photographed women in the world."
Those product categories, it goes on to say, could have included apparel, accessories, jewelry, cosmetics, hair care and fragrance, among others.' - Fox News

Seems like her priorities for being First Lady are to screw the opportunity for every dime she can make out of it. }}}


_________________
Pure Publications is Reasonably Proud to Present the first ever Forumshire novel!

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 39513
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by halfwise on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Well, they have to find reason to squeeze out as much money as they can out of the settlement, if for no other reason than to prevent other such claims. Presidents make most of their money after office by speaking engagements, would you have complained if someone accused the Donald of being a pimp and the speaker fee angle was used in the suit? I think they're just being honest here.

_________________
Halfwise, son of Halfwit. Brother of Nitwit, son of Halfwit. Half brother of Figwit.
Then it gets complicated...
avatar
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Posts : 13186
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : rustic broom closet in farthing of Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:56 pm

{{Its not that its dishonest its that it seems to me utterly hypocritical after campaigning to drain the swamp of those just making money of their positions- he accused Clinton of it non-stop. And now we see the Presidents wife sees the whole thing as a huge advertising opportunity to sell merchandising and profit from her position.
If Trump really wants to drain the swamp seems he should start with his own wife!

Also reminds me a bit too much of other unpleasant world leaders of history whose wives had a taste for the expensive and the high life. Between this and Trump's gold infatuation it all does paint a remarkably uncomfortable and familiar picture. }}}

_________________
Pure Publications is Reasonably Proud to Present the first ever Forumshire novel!

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 39513
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Amarië on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:02 pm

halfwise wrote:Former prime minister of Norway detained for an hour at airport because he had a stamp in his passport from Iran, 2014. Razz

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/03/former-norwegian-prime-minister-detained-at-dulles-airport-for-an-hour-he-visited-iran-in-2014/?utm_term=.a76d9779be42

Yeah, that's one scary dude worth worrying about. Laughing Brilliant to illustrate it with a picture of him and Malala, to thoroughly rub it in how unfair this detention was.

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius


Today the Shire, DarkPlanet cat. Tomorrow... THE WORLD!

 #amarieco
avatar
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Posts : 4686
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 36
Location : The Dark Planet Embassy, Main str. Needlehole.

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Amarië on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Its not that its dishonest its that it seems to me utterly hypocritical after campaigning to drain the swamp of those just making money of their positions- he accused Clinton of it non-stop. And now we see the Presidents wife sees the whole thing as a huge advertising opportunity to sell merchandising and profit from her position.
If Trump really wants to drain the swamp seems he should start with his own wife!

Also reminds me a bit too much of other unpleasant world leaders of history whose wives had a taste for the expensive and the high life. Between this and Trump's gold infatuation it all does paint a remarkably uncomfortable and familiar picture. }}}

At least she wants to make her OWN money, that's a pluss? Maybe? Shrugging

It does remind me slightly of when Finrod and I went to uni and rented a small flat. The neighbours were angry at us because we parked in front of a parking garage which not only did not exist, but one the city council had decided they weren't allowed to build.

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius


Today the Shire, DarkPlanet cat. Tomorrow... THE WORLD!

 #amarieco
avatar
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Posts : 4686
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 36
Location : The Dark Planet Embassy, Main str. Needlehole.

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Bluebottle on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:16 pm


_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Adventurer

Posts : 9542
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Bluebottle on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Amarië wrote:
halfwise wrote:Former prime minister of Norway detained for an hour at airport because he had a stamp in his passport from Iran, 2014. Razz

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/03/former-norwegian-prime-minister-detained-at-dulles-airport-for-an-hour-he-visited-iran-in-2014/?utm_term=.a76d9779be42

Yeah, that's one scary dude worth worrying about. Laughing Brilliant to illustrate it with a picture of him and Malala, to thoroughly rub it in how unfair this detention was.

You have to keep those religious fundamentalists out. Sofa

Bondevik is actually (still, I think) highly popular in Norway. He was a christian democrat, and pretty much the reason Norway had a center right government in the early 2000s. Mostly on strength of personality.

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Adventurer

Posts : 9542
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Forest Shepherd on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Maybe US folk can help out here- I was rather under the impression than the role of the First Lady was to be there at photo ops and to spend the rest of the time furthering good causes, charities, and promoting areas of society in which they have some personal interest- like the environment, or child poverty or something.

Have I got it wrong?

Cause the current First Lady is suing the Mirror over their claims she once worked as an escort. But thats not what I found revealing- its the reasoning giving by her lawyers for why these claims are damaging to her- and its not for moral or personal reasons!

'In the new filing Monday, the first lady's attorneys argue the report damaged her ability to profit off her high profile.
Mrs. Trump, the filing states, "had the unique, one-in-a-lifetime opportunity, as an extremely famous and well-known person, as well as a former professional model, brand spokesperson and successful businesswoman, to launch a broad-based commercial brand in multiple product categories, each of which could have garnered multi-million dollar business relationships for a multi-year term during which Plaintiff is one of the most photographed women in the world."
Those product categories, it goes on to say, could have included apparel, accessories, jewelry, cosmetics, hair care and fragrance, among others.' - Fox News

Seems like her priorities for being First Lady are to screw the opportunity for every dime she can make out of it. }}}


I don't know the details of the lawsuit, but are you saying Petty that the First Lady should be quiet and accept what she considers libelous claims because it is not her job?

_________________
Boar is badger, named after wood,
Not after forest but trees.
Where did you play on a rainy day?
Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
avatar
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Posts : 3540
Join date : 2013-11-02
Age : 26
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:54 pm

{{No, not all Forest- as I said I didn't find the substance of the lawsuit of interest, just her defense of why its a negative effect on her- that it might harm all the business opportunities she has planned trading of being First Lady and the profile that comes with it.
Given Trump rallied against the idea of people with official positions using them to line their own pocket- all that 'drain the swamp' rhetoric- seems hypocritical to me that his wife appears to see the position of First Lady as a money making opportunity. Its not exactly in the spirit of public service!}}

_________________
Pure Publications is Reasonably Proud to Present the first ever Forumshire novel!

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 39513
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Forest Shepherd on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Ah. Well, "branding" is going to happen with the First Lady's public persona. That's unavoidable I'd say. What that "brand" is used for is what defines the career of the First Lady. In the case of Michelle Obama for example, she used her influence to back the Let's Move! program for helping end childhood obesity through better diet and increased physical excercise.

But that program wasn't announced until February 2010, a year into Obama's presidency. So it's not reasonable to say at this time that the current First Lady is only concerned with her "brand".


_________________
Boar is badger, named after wood,
Not after forest but trees.
Where did you play on a rainy day?
Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
avatar
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Posts : 3540
Join date : 2013-11-02
Age : 26
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:19 pm

So it's not reasonable to say at this time that the current First Lady is only concerned with her "brand".- Forest

{{ You have to admit with all that seems planned its going to keep her fairly busy- 'to launch a broad-based commercial brand in multiple product categories, each of which could have garnered multi-million dollar business relationships for a multi-year term' - and thats pretty far from helping obese kids }}}

_________________
Pure Publications is Reasonably Proud to Present the first ever Forumshire novel!

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 39513
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by halfwise on Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:03 pm


_________________
Halfwise, son of Halfwit. Brother of Nitwit, son of Halfwit. Half brother of Figwit.
Then it gets complicated...
avatar
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Posts : 13186
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : rustic broom closet in farthing of Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Amarië on Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:24 pm

I was very disappointed that the message was not written ON the pizza. Spelled with peperoni or something. Sad

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius


Today the Shire, DarkPlanet cat. Tomorrow... THE WORLD!

 #amarieco
avatar
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Posts : 4686
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 36
Location : The Dark Planet Embassy, Main str. Needlehole.

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Mrs Figg on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:22 pm

first off Melania Trump has her own career and from what I gather is not going to be the traditional First Lady as she is living in NY and probably is happy to be as far away as possible. Therefore if she sees herself as little more as Donald's trophy wife, which she probably is, then she is going to want her own cash so she can say bye bye when she wants. But I must admit it stinks in so far as its all about merchandising her position, is that cash going to charity? maybe not. so she can do what she likes and doesn't have to put up with tabloids dragging her through the mud, but on the other hand it leaves a nasty swampy taste. But really if she ever needs to get out of this all she could do is refuse to wear makeup and wear a leopard print Onsie to a ball and he will be on to the next wifelet.

_________________
avatar
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Posts : 21902
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 87
Location : Holding The Door

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by halfwise on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:43 pm

I dunno, a leopard-print onesie might be just the ticket to rekindle romance, depends on the cut.

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-swim-dress-aqua-green/-/A-21562757

_________________
Halfwise, son of Halfwit. Brother of Nitwit, son of Halfwit. Half brother of Figwit.
Then it gets complicated...
avatar
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Posts : 13186
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : rustic broom closet in farthing of Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by malickfan on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:56 pm

So, we are nearly three weeks into Trump's presidency, what's the verdict so far?

_________________
The Thorin: An Unexpected Rewrite December 2012 (I was on the money apparently)
The Tauriel: Desolation of Canon December 2013 (Accurate again!)
The Sod-it! : Battling my Indifference December 2014 (You know what they say, third time's the charm)

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect


I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
avatar
malickfan
Adventurer

Posts : 3974
Join date : 2013-09-10
Age : 25
Location : The (Hamp)shire, England

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by halfwise on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Too soon to tell.  He's tried to move faster than any other administration, thus pissing off all sorts of people who felt they should have been consulted.  

No way to tell yet if any of his policies will make a difference.  Given the low number of terrorists acts committed on US soil from 'immigrant' terrorists since 9/11 (exactly zero) the effectiveness of his visa ban will automatically register as zero unless it backfires.  The deregulation attempts will take at least a year to bear economic fruit, though the environmental rotten fruit may manifest itself within a few months.  And he hasn't done a thing about infrastructure.

I should add to this that all my first impressions are even worse than I expected.

_________________
Halfwise, son of Halfwit. Brother of Nitwit, son of Halfwit. Half brother of Figwit.
Then it gets complicated...
avatar
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Posts : 13186
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : rustic broom closet in farthing of Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by David H on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:38 pm

I rate the new administration 5 out of 5 popcorns Nod Thumbs Up


_________________
 
 ...................................
avatar
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Posts : 6532
Join date : 2011-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by azriel on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:44 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I realize I might be coming across as a bit of an asshole. That part, at least, is not intentional. Razz

I don't think you're an arse hole.
You got a big "Sig" tho Smile I do admit I cant look at it for long....Smile

_________________
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.”
"There are far, far, better things ahead than any we can leave behind"
If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got



avatar
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Posts : 12872
Join date : 2012-10-07
Age : 58
Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:51 am

{{Does the Trump Admin blatantly lie and tell falsehoods? According to Kelly-Anne Connway- yes!

From a CNN interview-

interviewer- '"How about the President's statements that are false? I'm talking about the President of the United States saying things that are not true, demonstrably not true. That is important."

Conway- "Are they more important than the many things that he says that are true"

Shocked Well its honest I suppose- I'll give her that. }}

_________________
Pure Publications is Reasonably Proud to Present the first ever Forumshire novel!

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 39513
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:39 am

{{Putting a very human face on things}}


_________________
Pure Publications is Reasonably Proud to Present the first ever Forumshire novel!

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 39513
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Bluebottle on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:50 am


_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Adventurer

Posts : 9542
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum