Narnia Chat

Post by Mirabella on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 am

Lest we Forget...

Mirabella
Woman strong enough to not fear beauty

Back to top Go down

Re: Narnia Chat

Post by Ally on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:37 pm

I'd never forget; despite what others may say, Narnia really did captivate me when I was younger. elephant

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Location: It's nice when you have enough hair to use as a pillow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm

I liked the first three (by internal chronological order) with my favourite being The Horse and His Boy, but after Prince Caspian I just couldn't bring myself to read any more. The first three were great though. Very Happy

Eldorion
Row Row Fight The Power

http://eldorion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Very Happy Laughing The horse and his boy was always my favourite too! It has the best story, helped by the fact that it is not really linked to the others. Very Happy

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods

Kafria
The Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Magicians Nephew was my favourite. Something about the atmosphere of the time period its set in and the brilliant image of the place between the worlds with all the pools. Very Happy

"A lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero they didn't give him a gun, they gave him a screwdriver so he could fix things. They didn't give him a tank, or a warship, or an x-wing fighter, they gave him a call box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower, or pointy ears or a heat ray, they gave him an extra heart. And that's an extraordinary thing.
There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor."- Steven Moffat

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Magicians Nephew was my favourite. Something about the atmosphere of the time period its set in and the brilliant image of the place between the worlds with all the pools. Very Happy

Definitely my favourite also.

GB

Why the Steven Seagal shooting kids GIF in my signature this last week??? To be perfectly honest, I didn't know why I posted it until tonight! I have been posting a lot on FB the past week about the Culture of Paranoia, Guns, and Violence in the US. The GIF reflected some of my visceral reactions to the School and Mall shootings!

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan

Gandalf's Beard
Moderator Emeritus

Location: In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Having only read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, I can't really pick a favourite! Out of the Films, Prince Caspian would be my favourite but I haven't seen Dawn Treader yet. *Hint hint* Very Happy

Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location: Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Squach wrote:Having only read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, I can't really pick a favourite! Out of the Films, Prince Caspian would be my favourite but I haven't seen Dawn Treader yet. *Hint hint* Very Happy

Better get cracking on the books then. Wink

Seriuosly though, anyone who likes the Hobbit ought to read the Narnia series. Very Happy After all, CS Lewis and Tolkien were pals.

GB

Why the Steven Seagal shooting kids GIF in my signature this last week??? To be perfectly honest, I didn't know why I posted it until tonight! I have been posting a lot on FB the past week about the Culture of Paranoia, Guns, and Violence in the US. The GIF reflected some of my visceral reactions to the School and Mall shootings!

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

Gandalf's Beard
Moderator Emeritus

Location: In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Gandalf's Beard wrote:After all, CS Lewis and Tolkien were pals.

On the other hand, Tolkien did say in Letter 265 that "It is sad that 'Nania' and all that part of C.S.L's work should remain outside the range of my sympathy, as much of my work was outside his."

Though I don't entirely agree with that sentiment. Wink

Eldorion
Row Row Fight The Power

http://eldorion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Gandalf's Beard wrote:After all, CS Lewis and Tolkien were pals.

On the other hand, Tolkien did say in Letter 265 that "It is sad that 'Nania' and all that part of C.S.L's work should remain outside the range of my sympathy, as much of my work was outside his."

Though I don't entirely agree with that sentiment. Wink

Yeah, and he called Narnia a "hodgepodge." Utter Rubbish I say Mad . Tolkien definitely lost a couple of points on my like metre for that one Razz .

If i had to choose where I'd rather live--Narnia or Middle Earth--it would definitely be Narnia. Middle earth is a fun place to visit, But there aren't enough "fun" creatures. The Elves, Tom Bombadil and the Ents are about it, all the other critters are Orcs, Balrogs and other "Fell Beasts". There is only one awesome Dragon, and they had to go and kill it. Mad

No Pixies, no Faeries, no Unicorns, no Minotaurs, no Fauns, no Centaurs, no Winged Horses, no Dryads, no Naiads, no River-God, no Bacchus, no God of Time, no Marshwiggles, No Mermaids etc etc. Tolkien's world is all serious and dramatic...except for The Hobbit--but that's because Bilbo embellished his story a bit. Rolling Eyes

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Moderator Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 pm

To paraphrase Monty Python;
'On second thoughts lets not go Narnia. It is a silly place.' Very Happy

"A lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero they didn't give him a gun, they gave him a screwdriver so he could fix things. They didn't give him a tank, or a warship, or an x-wing fighter, they gave him a call box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower, or pointy ears or a heat ray, they gave him an extra heart. And that's an extraordinary thing.
There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor."- Steven Moffat

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by janesmith on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 pm

I prefer Tolien to Lewis, but the margin is not great. Magician is my favorite, closely followed by TLTWATW. The Horse and his Boy is very good, and The Silver Chair could have been better if not for the silliness about Aslan telling the children things which they promptly forgot - there is plenty of filmworthy stuff in Chair - and I just love Puddleglum. Indeed, Chair in my opinion could be the best film if made. (If I were to rewrite Chair, I'd have Lucy and Eustace as the main characters. Some re-creating would be necessary, but the adventures would not have to change). Prince Caspian was good, but the film I feel definitely improved on it. Dawn Treader was okay as a book, but not my favorite by any means. I'm interested to see the movie. The Last Battle was weak and tired I feel:-Jane

janesmith
Mother Superior: Our Lady of the Anklelength Frock

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:31 pm

I've seen Dawn Treader and thought it was by far the weakest of the films to date.
My memory of the original book is hazy so I'm not sure how close it stays but its main problem is that the story is dull. Its a classic quest of the type that used to make up the bulk of dungeons and dragons games. X amount of swords/wizards/gems, spread about, go to each place, brave some danger or other, find them take them to x place. And it suffers from a lack of a defined villain. The green mist doesn't cut it.
Oh and the end, through no fault of their own, is a bit ruined if you've ever seen ghostbusters. And there's a few overt religious bits I could have done without- but I could say the same about the books there so that's not really the films fault.

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Tolkien writes EPICs and is awesome at language and world-building. And I love all that stuff too. When it comes to writing Style and the stuff I just mentioned, I much prefer Tolkien. But apart from the Shire, it's not a place I'd live in if I had the choice. I like a wide range of fun magical critters, and Narnia has that in spades.

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Moderator Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I've seen Dawn Treader and thought it was by far the weakest of the films to date.
My memory of the original book is hazy so I'm not sure how close it stays but its main problem is that the story is dull. Its a classic quest of the type that used to make up the bulk of dungeons and dragons games. X amount of swords/wizards/gems, spread about, go to each place, brave some danger or other, find them take them to x place. And it suffers from a lack of a defined villain. The green mist doesn't cut it.
Oh and the end, through no fault of their own, is a bit ruined if you've ever seen ghostbusters. And there's a few overt religious bits I could have done without- but I could say the same about the books there so that's not really the films fault.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I expect it actually might have improved on the book a bit. As to the "Religious" stuff. CS Lewis was a Pagan who thought he'd become a Christian. When he has the part about Aslan saying "you'll come to know me by another name" back on Earth, he was also referring to all the other Solar Gods that preceded Jesus too. He knew perfectly well that the Jesus story was based on previous Solar Cults.

When he was visiting Greece with Joy Davidson, he remarked that he thought that worshiping at the Shrine of Apollo wouldn't have been wrong. I've written a number of essays and articles on Lewis and done a lot of research about him, and there is no question that he was far more Pagan than Tolkien. So there is no doubt that "knowing Aslan by another name" carried with it all the other names of the Sun Gods that Lewis was familiar with.

Some required reading for understanding Lewis's world-view include The Discarded Image (all about the Medieval Pagan/Christian syncretism), Mere Christianity (wherein he actually expresses some very Gnostic Views), and The Abolition of Man (in which he uses Taoism as a means to explore the Universal Constants of all the Major Religions). None of this is surprising, because Lewis was big on Plato and other Pagan Greek Philosophers. Had Lewis been born a generation later, he would have very likely shared the views of people like Alan Watts, Mircae Eliade, and Joseph Campbell.

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Moderator Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top