Tom Bombadil

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tom Bombadil

Post by chris63 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Tom Bombadil, the most disliked character in Lord of the Rings Question Question

http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html

chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Re: Tom Bombadil

Post by Eldorion on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:51 pm

It would be more accurate to say that Tom Bombadil is the book character most disliked by people who have never read the book. Laughing

Eldorion
Lord of Forumshire

http://eldorion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by David H on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:56 pm

...or have tried to make the movie.

David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Fun link with a Stephen King ending.

I never really liked him anyway, he just doesn't fit in.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:33 pm

So everyone hates one of my favorite characters now, do they? Rolling Eyes

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom: H. L. Mencken

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:34 pm

I dont he is one of my favourites, along with Gimli. cheers

Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:19 pm

I know he is, Mrs Figg, as you do have a bit of 'learning' and 'class' (not a lot of class, of course, but what you've got is clearly discernible! Very Happy ) You know, first there was David's 'silver' shoe silliness - and now he tells me he didn't like Bombadil... Has the world gone mad?

(Btw I hope you refer to book Gimli, not the other one).

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom: H. L. Mencken

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:23 pm

His whimsical qualities fit better into the Hobbit than LoTR. He's in there because Priscilla Tolkien wanted him, he was a character in the stories Tollers told to his kids. Tolkien DID take direct suggestions concerning his writing, just not from adults.

It's not that I don't like TB, I just feel he was misplaced.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:34 pm

I looooooved Tom and Goldberry. I thought they fit in perfectly. I care less for how Tolkien 'Silmarillionized" the latter parts of the book (not that I actually disliked that, mind, it had it's place). The 'freshness' of Tolkien for me lies a lot in his creative courage, juxtaposing the jolly Bombadil with the malignant Barrow-wights - and beating them with a rather jolly song. These things set Tolkien apart from all the over-earnest fantasy writers who came after him. Tolkien's imagination sparkled when he took on a lighter vein. He did not lose depth though by doing so. Even his lightest moments hint at greater depths, always. The fact he understood humanity and could laugh still - and in good humour without Orwellian 'meaningfulness' -was a particular strength of his.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Orwell wrote: You know, first there was David's 'silver' shoe silliness - and now he tells me he didn't like Bombadil... Has the world gone mad?

I think you must have misunderstood me, Orwell. Eldo said, "Tom Bombadil is the book character most disliked by people who have never read the book." and I added "....or tried to make the movie", referring to Bakshi and Jackson who both skipped the whole section.

As a matter of fact I consider Tom a personal friend, and I can assure you that Goldberry wouldn't be caught dead in ruby slippers. Rolling Eyes

David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Orwell you hit the nail on the head, the juxtaposition of Tom and the horror of the Barrows is perfection. I love you Tom is like the soul of the book writ large. Gentle songs with ancient magics, nature spirits, and forgotten kingdoms, the power of the rain the wind and growing things. Laughter and tears, fear and wandering safely Home at the end of the day.

Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Orwell you hit the nail on the head, the juxtaposition of Tom and the horror of the Barrows is perfection. I love you Tom is like the soul of the book writ large. Gentle songs with ancient magics, nature spirits, and forgotten kingdoms, the power of the rain the wind and growing things. Laughter and tears, fear and wandering safely Home at the end of the day.

Oh Mrs Figg - it's like you understand Tolkien perfectly - and not like certain others (some of whom seem overly concerned with shoes, to be perfectly frank).

As to Tom being particularly disliked - is that coming from a post-movie readership? People who never would have read the book to begin with, but have now read the book in an attempt to get some cred with Purists? Mmm...? You know PJ-people not Tolkien-people? Souless people I mean, though in meaning that, I mean it kindly. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:09 pm

You folks have begun to sway me. I have to admit I've read those few chapters many times, but often in isolation because the mood is so different. It does stick with you, doesn't it?

It reminds me of the movie "Fargo" (which I'm not sure non-Americans can fully 'get'), which has a scene in a restaurant between the sheriff and one of her former high school classmates who had a crush on her. All the critics agreed it has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, yet it was such a perfectly conceived piece that it would have been diminished without it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:45 pm

The difference between 'average' fiction and great fiction is an author's willingness to write what seems good to him and see what happens, crossing his/her fingers, seeing if it works. I'm not one who has much truck with literary criticism. If something works it works. Life is not a perfect set of causes and effects (except on a Multiversal Scale which none of us can comprehend except the Prime Mover if he/she exists). So why should a book be a 'perfect' construct. Sounds like a suspiciously Utopian idea to me! Made to measure imagination in a mass produced format. LotR works as a great work for me because I can read it for what is and be enthralled by it because of what is. If one needs to analyse it and try to apply some all round set of Perfected Writing Rules to it, by all means do so, whatever floats your Boffiny-boat I say, but it's Tolkien's non-conformities and his brilliant feel for imaginative story telling, that floats my lightweight canoe.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:02 am

chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum