Kony 2012

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kony 2012

Post by Mrs Figg on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:13 pm

You have good points Eldo, in this world of scams and cynical manipulation for profit, you have to be careful, I wouldnt give them my money as you never know who exactly is getting it, if the information is incorrect then they need to be told to sort things out. It is good that debate has started, however these things come and go and once the fashion for this particular cause is passed I wonder what remains? But on the other hand If it has helped even one kid its worth it. Its very easy to critisize them for being smug westerners and maybe they are, but its surely a flawed but interesting experiment in public awareness.

Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:its surely a flawed but interesting experiment in public awareness.

I absolutely agree. Smile It's a fascinating look at the power of viral media in the information age, and I sincerely hope that the increased awareness will lead to positive change for the people of Central Africa. While I worry that simplistic and hamfisted approaches will be ineffective or even detrimental in the long run, I hope that a greater dialogue will lead people to encourage their governments to take more responsible action. Of course, lasting change will need to come from within Africa itself, but it's good for the rest of the world to be informed as well.

Eldorion
Row Row Fight The Power

http://eldorion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm

I saw on a facebook page the day after Whitney Houston Died the following -' One Celebrity dies millions mourn'- then a picture of Africa and 'Millions die nobody mourns'.
Simplistic but sadly probably close to the truth. Its the nature of our culture.

"A lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero they didn't give him a gun, they gave him a screwdriver so he could fix things. They didn't give him a tank, or a warship, or an x-wing fighter, they gave him a call box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower, or pointy ears or a heat ray, they gave him an extra heart. And that's an extraordinary thing.
There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor."- Steven Moffat

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:26 pm

An interesting article about the response to the video from various African writers and activists.

http://boingboing.net/2012/03/08/african-voices-respond-to-hype.html

Most of them mentioned that the video sounded like paternalism and neo-colonialism, which is an accusation I'd seen a few other places as well. Food for thought. study

Eldorion
Row Row Fight The Power

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 pm

There's a whole wave of 'Kony memes' mocking that culture, but there is definitely potential in the internet fostering empathy. It reminds me of that google ad a few years back, 'the internet's what you make of it!'. Wink As Eldo said, this new model of global interaction is definitely interesting, and I believe a force for good!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Location: It's nice when you have enough hair to use as a pillow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:29 pm

I've read about Kony before, but the memes were actually what first introduced me to the video. I feel like I'm going to hell for laughing at most of them, but I like to think that people can try to use humor to make sense of a horrific situation while also thinking seriously about that situation. Embarassed Laughing

Eldorion
Row Row Fight The Power

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Well the really funny ones are those mocking the people on the Kony 2012 bandwagon! It was amazing how many of my friends were closet humanitarians! Haha, but I suppose humour and empathy are both good, as long as it's full of good intention and is well meant!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Location: It's nice when you have enough hair to use as a pillow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Its easy to dismiss all the people who support this campaign as naive or worse smug western imperialists etc, but the harsh truth is that us westerners have the leisure time and the dollars to support benevolent causes, it seems like western patronage but its probably more guilt for having so much of everything. I feel guilty for having everything handed to me on a plate, democracy included.

Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Its easy to dismiss all the people who support this campaign as naive or worse smug western imperialists etc, but the harsh truth is that us westerners have the leisure time and the dollars to support benevolent causes, it seems like western patronage but its probably more guilt for having so much of everything. I feel guilty for having everything handed to me on a plate, democracy included.

I agree 99% Mrs Figg --- I only lack the 'guilt' bit - which I assume in Western Imperialists can't be more than 1%. Once we've finished discussing this, we'll surely move onto some other briefly believed in and quickly forgotten cause. Very Happy

(You know, I had enough trouble getting my kids to school, let alone training 'em up as prostitutes and/or soldiers, or to be useful in any other practical profession. Rolling Eyes)

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom: H. L. Mencken

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 pm

(You know, I had enough trouble getting my kids to school, let alone training 'em up as prostitutes and/or soldiers, or to be useful in any other practical profession. Rolling Eyes ) -Orwell

Laughing

"A lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero they didn't give him a gun, they gave him a screwdriver so he could fix things. They didn't give him a tank, or a warship, or an x-wing fighter, they gave him a call box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower, or pointy ears or a heat ray, they gave him an extra heart. And that's an extraordinary thing.
There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor."- Steven Moffat

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Well may you smile... Rolling Eyes I'm still forking out cash so they can live a carefree Western Imperialist lifestyle... Mad no one knows my pain... Sad

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom: H. L. Mencken

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Hey! Shocked If lots of people sent me lots of money, I could keep my kids out of prostituition and army camps ---- Nod

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:48 pm

nice try Suspect

Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 am

From the BBC:

'Invisible Children was accused of spending most of its raised funds on salaries, travel expenses and film-making.
Bloggers also pointed out that NGO watchdog Charity Navigator had given the group only two out of four stars for financial accountability.
And an article in Foreign Affairs accused Invisible Children and other non-profits of having "manipulated facts for strategic purposes".'

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:24 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:From the BBC:

'Invisible Children was accused of spending most of its raised funds on salaries, travel expenses and film-making.
Bloggers also pointed out that NGO watchdog Charity Navigator had given the group only two out of four stars for financial accountability.
And an article in Foreign Affairs accused Invisible Children and other non-profits of having "manipulated facts for strategic purposes".'

This raises an interesting thought (to me at least). If I were to go and get employed by a Charity, and draw a nice wage from the charitable donations of others, would it make me a better person?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top