Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

Post by Bluebottle on Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Three years What a Face That's so much.. so much time study so much time.. to procrastinate.. indeed Shocked

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Re: Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

Post by halfwise on Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:46 pm

If you haven't yet, you guys need to check out PhD comics.

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1388

Mainly science focussed, but the same rules seem to apply.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:49 am

Yup.. that's the feeling you have from being graded...

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:01 am

As someone who has had the task of assigning grades from grade school to grad school, I think it's all hogwash.  Unfortunately given the volume of students to deal with, I don't see any better system. Shrugging

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:06 pm

halfwise wrote:If you haven't yet, you guys need to check out PhD comics.

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1388

Mainly science focussed, but the same rules seem to apply.

yippee! more procrastination fodder. Razz
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Three years What a Face That's so much.. so much time study so much time.. to procrastinate.. indeed Shocked

hahayeah, its 6 years part time, already done 3 years of procrastination studies, and its going swimmingly. Laughing that's what PhD stands for, Procrastination Higher Degree. Surprised
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:06 am

Nice one Eldo, good job on getting back to your schooling.  Thumbs Up

Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:33 am

Thanks Forest! Smile
Eldorion
He Who Seeks To Become a Master at Ye Old Temple In Merry Land... of Oz, or so I presume.

http://nolondil.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:03 pm

i have to convince myself that deadline is wednesday and not friday because i have stuff to do and beers to drink on thursday, but it hard.. tricking my brain..

illustration first published in Under Dusken issue 14, 102. vintage, p.18
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:46 pm

the comic writer James Thurber had a trick for beating procrastination, and it really works.   Find some task that's sort of tedious and unimportant - like rearranging the books on your bookshelf - then work hard to convince yourself it's really the most important thing to get done.   It takes some effort convincing yourself, but it's worth it.  As soon as you know you simply must rearrange those books, you set about doing anything else to put it off.  If you also convince yourself that other thing that you used to have to get done is really not that important and rather trivial, you'll soon end up doing it to avoid rearranging the books; anything but rearrange those damn books.

I've tried it, it really works.  But then the task of convincing yourself you really have to do this unimportant task becomes a new thing to avoid, but at least it works the first time.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:41 pm

this helped me a lot, like to keep calm, during writing the paper (linguistics in sign language).

Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:45 pm

halfwise wrote:the comic writer James Thurber had a trick for beating procrastination, and it really works.   Find some task that's sort of tedious and unimportant - like rearranging the books on your bookshelf - then work hard to convince yourself it's really the most important thing to get done.   It takes some effort convincing yourself, but it's worth it.  As soon as you know you simply must rearrange those books, you set about doing anything else to put it off.  If you also convince yourself that other thing that you used to have to get done is really not that important and rather trivial, you'll soon end up doing it to avoid rearranging the books; anything but rearrange those damn books.

I've tried it, it really works.  But then the task of convincing yourself you really have to do this unimportant task becomes a new thing to avoid, but at least it works the first time.

i can see how this might work... but i don't think i can trick my brain. i just have to be strickt with myself and be like, it's not that hard, or make a list over smaller tasks, like a making a skeleton for the paper, so it is parted into smaller things. then, it is also easier to plan how much is left. for instance. i've written the background finished(ish) and the method section. one would think it's halfway, it is not..

Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:01 pm

"I've got stuff to do, and beers to drink" - norc

I might steal that line some day Laughing

Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:54 pm

And congratulations on the admission, Eldo, this is very cool. I once thought librarians were limited to libraries - I've been proven wrong several times, the skills you learn with an education like that appear to be both attractive to and sought-after by a large variety of employers. I wish you good luck Smile

Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks Ringo! Smile It's exciting (and a bit scary) to be making moves towards the professional world. I'm fairly optimistic that it will be an improvement over retail, though. Razz
Eldorion
He Who Seeks To Become a Master at Ye Old Temple In Merry Land... of Oz, or so I presume.

http://nolondil.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc on Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:01 pm

what even is concentration and motivation?! gawd... i want to sleep.

Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Eldorion wrote:After four years in the world of retail, I am very excited to be plunging back into academia, as I've just been accepted (and accepted my acceptation) into the Master of Library and Information Science program at the University of Maryland! Very Happy It was my first choice and is the flagship public university of my home state, so I'm especially happy to be going to this particular school. (In-state tuition rates don't hurt either. Razz) I do have to get used to calling the College Park campus just "the University of Maryland" without qualifier, though, since I did my undergrad at one of the other branches (UMBC) and was always a little touchy about it being confused with the older and better-known school. Laughing

There are three American Library Association-accredited programs within feasible driving distance of where I live, and Maryland's looked to be the best. I've spent a lot of time in the past six months or so thinking about what I want to do in the future and was seriously considering applying to political science PhD programs last fall, but I think the job prospects for library science are much better, and it still leaves the door open to do research down the road. A lot of academic libraries look for people to have a second Master's or a Doctorate in a specialized field, as well as an MLIS. I'm not sure if that's for me but even if I don't take that route, I think I'd really enjoy working in an environment largely focused on knowledge and learning.

Writing about myself for the application essays was a somewhat agonizing process and my anxiety has definitely flared up at several points but for the moment anyway I'm feeling all bouncy and happy so I'm trying to savor that. Razz And I do feel much more optimistic about the future than I have in a long time.

Great news Eldo Smile cheers Thumbs Up

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:29 pm

pro tip for student life. my earlobe hole for piercings got a little inflamed. i don't own any kind of first aid kit... so i just used gin to clean it.. i smell like pinewoods now. it's ok. it worked.

Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top