star trek thread

Page 38 of 38 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: star trek thread

Post by halfwise on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Oh that's what was going on? I couldn't stick with it long enough to figure that out.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:37 pm

{{Far as I can tell its basically the DS9 format for the main series- individual story episodes but glues together with a through arc of a big war. In DS9 that was the war with the Dominion, and it produced some of the best ST in its entire history- see In the Pale Moonlight for example.
This series seems to be similar- only its got a two episode prequel setting up the war whereas the beginning of the war in DS9 rose naturally out of events over the course of a series or two. }}}

Gingerlocks and the Three McTyrants

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:56 am

Heya, relevant RLM video:

Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:58 pm

That was remarkably engrossing. I didn't expect I'd want to watch more than a few minutes of it, but it was a very well-informed and pertinent conversation.

I also learned that starting with the second "pilot" episode may have skewed my opinion; the first pilot looks far more interesting.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:02 pm

The guy on the left often brings Star Trek into other movie conversations, so I think they were both quite happy to have the opportunity to actually talk about Star Trek.

Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
Forest Shepherd
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:51 pm

{{Ok saw ep 3 of STD (really bad name choice guys Mad ) and its an odd one- its a lot better than the pilot. It has some more interesting characters, its a better plot and sci-fi drama- unfortunately its shit ST. Its got no ST feel, its all way too dark, literally in the scene lighting, in the tone overall, the dubiousness of certain characters and way to much gore for ST- it ain't game of thrones people!! Mad  Its feels more like Battlestar or something than it does any ST. }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:34 pm

{{ Watched ep4 of STD, basically same as before- its got good scifi, some interesting characters, the klingons didn't bore me for once in this one but its still not ST- its still dark in look and tone, what the Discovery is doing is basically dark in tone; its a ST warship essentially. And there is till too much gore for ST.
I fell in love with ST TOS aged about 6/7 watching it with my Dad every Wednesday at 6pm on BBC2- see it meant so much I can remember when we watched it- if I had a 6/7 year old I wouldn't want them to be watching this with me- not only because I find its look to dark, gritty and violent, but because I dont see it offering a youngster anything in the way of an optimistic, hopeful future or people in that future. And thats a problem I think for ST.

Also watched the latest episode of the Orville- now it feels and looks exactly like St and it was a good character developing episode too for the secondary cast. But it too is still suffering from my original complaint- the actual plots are all too familiar- so far excluding the pilot we have had aliens capturing folk for their zoo, a moral dilemma court room episode and this latest one, a huge advance vessel containing a biosphere with population who have forgotten they are on a ship at all. It would work if they were using these old sci-fi plot lines and doing something new with them, but with the exception of dropping more everyday characters into the scenario and playing that for a few laughs it does nothing new with the ideas or material.
Setting totally ST. Characters, fun, engaging and enough to develop on in the future. Plots old, cliched and hackneyed with no new ideas added.
They sort the plot problem out though Orville will probably win out as the more ST of the two shows.}}}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 am

Yeah, the original series already was recycling ideas ad nauseum. Seen one parallel development of a historical earth period, seen'em all. Yawn. Need something fresh. TNG largely gave us that.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:17 am

{{Um, well....watched the latest episode of ST Discovery- the episode when ST finally died in concept entirely.
Why? The following exchange- and yes this actually occurs in an episode of ST.

-You guys, this is so fucking cool. I'm so sorry.
-No, cadet. It is fucking cool.

This is ST now?  Evil or Very Mad Who are they aiming this at? Mad }}}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:58 am

One channel here gives us episodes of each of the trek series one after another each night. I'm only watching classic Trek, but the dearth of interesting storylines is so sad. The ship, the society, the characters were good, but the writers just had no sense of storyline. TNG figured that out, but only got the characters halfway right.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:02 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:-You guys, this is so fucking cool. I'm so sorry.
-No, cadet. It is fucking cool.

Yes, Captain, this is indeed the shit.
Eldorion
He Who Seeks To Become a Master at Ye Old Temple In Merry Land... of Oz, or so I presume.

http://nolondil.tumblr.com/essays

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:03 pm

{{Thankfully we still have ST Continues- though not for long- the first part of the finale to it has been put up online- and I loved it, well written, an interesting concept that cleverly and intelligently connects the end back to Kirks beginning in his pilot episode (and even nicely explains why Gary got Kirk's middle name wrong on the gravestone in that episode!). Well worth a watch, as like all of the real TOS you can jump in at the start of any episode in any order and it will make sense. Enjoy! }}}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 38 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38

View previous topic View next topic Back to top