continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Page 24 of 24 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24

Go down

Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by David H on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:33 am

In the ongoing gun debate it's interesting to see the Brits are now arguing some of the same points we've gone back and forth with here.

Rural police forces consider giving guns to regular officers

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/07/rural-police-forces-consider-giving-guns-to-regular-officers

Alison Hernandez, Devon and Cornwall’s police and crime commissioner, suggested in June that farmers and other local gun owners could help stretched police tackle any armed terrorist attack.

David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm

At some point you've got to change your model as conditions change.

I heard my Chinese semi-not-really girlfriend explaining to her fresh-off-the-boat cousin what it meant to be an American.  It was pretty amazing because in her quest to stay in America she's gone from studying bio-engineering to law to business;  had all the differing philosophies drilled into her, and could lay it out with the flawless poise of a courtroom lawyer.  I really wish I had recorded it for posterity, for it was jaw-dropping with the insight of a foreigner arguing for her adopted county.  Lots of things I could say, but to stay on topic...she pointed out that in places like China there was one law throughout the land, and it had to fit a farmer in Sichuan province as well as a lawyer in Beijing.  But American law with its principle of federalism recognized that "a farmer in Pennsylvania needs one kind of shit, while a businessman in Manhattan needs to be governed by a whole different kind of shit.  There's different scopes of shit in American law because not everyone has the same situation and they need to apply what works best for them. America recognizes individuals in a way Asia does not."

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:44 pm

{{I've never had a problem with response units and special units of police being armed in the UK- its sensible. But arming the general bobby on the beat is another matter. Guns should be in the hands of those trained specifically to use them and who train all the time in their use and tactics for use.

When it comes to flexibility in the law- in Scotland its very hard to get a gun. If I wanted for example to legally buy a shotgun- I simply couldn't- the law prevents me from doing so as I dont meet any criteria for owning one-I am not a member of a gun range, its not for sport, its not for work, I dont have the facilities for safe storage of it and ammo ect- so as far as the law is concerned I have no legitimate reason to need a shotgun so I cant have one- and I'm fine with that- I don't have a good reason to own one ( I dont even meet the criteria for legally owning an air pistol)
If I was Dave on the otherhand and had a farm, that would be a different matter, or if I was gamekeeper or some such- then the law recognizes the need and views it as a tool- though there are still plenty rules on storage and usage ect }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Guns should be in the hands of those trained specifically to use them and who train all the time in their use and tactics for use.

Training is important, but it's a double edged sword depending on what you're being trained for. It seems some departments are now being trained more for quick-draw and less for deescalation than a decade ago.

I have a friend who works on the ferry system which requires emergency response training for all their employees because if something happens when they're underway, professional police and medical aid probably isn't going to be available.

Interestingly, their professional instructors have done almost no training for an Islamic terrorist attack, but at least three on how to deal with amped up police officers. That says a lot about the kinds of risks they most commonly encounter... Suspect

David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Interestingly, their professional instructors have done almost no training for an Islamic terrorist attack, but at least three on how to deal with amped up police officers. That says a lot about the kinds of risks they most commonly encounter... Suspect

Wha...?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:13 am

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 24 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum