Tolkien in General - Page 31 Empty Re: Tolkien in General

Post by azriel on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:12 am

hee hee, yeah Smile

Tolkien in General - Page 31 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tolkien in General - Page 31 15403410
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:03 pm

So here's a question: why come Tolkien felt content to cram nearly the whole of the Silmarillion, a much vastier story expanse than the LotR, into Beriliand, yet when writing LotR felt compelled to expand by a linear scale of 5 to 10, with of course 30 to 100 times the area? Did it just take him that long to realize he had scrounched everything into an area the size of Britain and perhaps he should expand to west/east European scales?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:25 pm

What do you mean though, because the Silmarillion's setting includes such far-flung places as the bay of Cuivienen where the elves awoke, to Forochel, to Numenor, to Aman. Vasty stretches in-between indeed.

"'But whereas we have drunk with thee, who seemest to be a man of lineage, and thou hast been blithe with us, we will tell thee that we have seen one riding south along the Greenway, clad in a coat as green as the way, with the leafless tree done on his breast. So nigh to him we were that we heard his cry as he sped along, as ye may hear the lapwing whining, for he said: "POINT AND EDGE, POINT AND EDGE! THE RED WATER AMIDST OF THE HILLS!" In my lifetime such a man hath, to my knowledge, been seen thrice before; and after each sight of him followed evil days and the death of men.'"

-The Well at the World's End, William Morris
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:49 pm

That elf awakening story doesn't interact much with lands they pass through, and is a miniscule part of the whole story. Something about the misty mountains and then suddenly they're on the shores of the sea. Forochel is all of a couple of paragraphs. Numenor didn't get added until LotR. Aman doesn't count.

90% of the stories are all in this area about the size of Mordor. Then you get to stuff written during the Hobbit and after LotR and the territory explodes.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 31 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 29, 30, 31