Things that are making you crabbit! [5]

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22

Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 22 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [5]

Post by azriel on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:57 pm

That does sound better Dave

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 22 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 22 15403410
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 22 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [5]

Post by Forest Shepherd on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:20 am

Well the typist of the original phrase was Finnish, I believe, and not great at English. That was my attempt to correct what he said. Razz

Thanks though

"'But whereas we have drunk with thee, who seemest to be a man of lineage, and thou hast been blithe with us, we will tell thee that we have seen one riding south along the Greenway, clad in a coat as green as the way, with the leafless tree done on his breast. So nigh to him we were that we heard his cry as he sped along, as ye may hear the lapwing whining, for he said: "POINT AND EDGE, POINT AND EDGE! THE RED WATER AMIDST OF THE HILLS!" In my lifetime such a man hath, to my knowledge, been seen thrice before; and after each sight of him followed evil days and the death of men.'"

-The Well at the World's End, William Morris
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Well now we have to see the original, and judge between the Finnish and American, though I've heard it's hard to tell mortals apart.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Help me out, this is making me crabbit. I came across this sentence recently, and I can't figure out whether all this is required for the sentence to be correct, grammatically.

"I am looking forward to this Tolkien movie with a thousand times more enthusiasm than that with which I am looking forward to the Amazon series."

Can we simplify this down, or is all of this required? And no need to comment about how English is a "living language" and how grammar is "just made up anyway" or any of that lazy tripe! I just want to know about what is technically correct.

Ellipsis (the avoidance of unnecessary repetition) is as important a grammatical rule as any [rule], so you're technically more grammatically correct to omit the second "looking forward". Also, the "that with which" appears to compare different enthusiasms rather than different ways of looking forward, so it seems much clearer to leave it out.

That leaves,
"I am looking forward to this Tolkien movie with a thousand times more enthusiasm than I am to the Amazon series."  
Simpler, clearer, and more grammatical but with the hyperbole left intact. Is that what you were asking for?

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:45 am

Acceptable

"'But whereas we have drunk with thee, who seemest to be a man of lineage, and thou hast been blithe with us, we will tell thee that we have seen one riding south along the Greenway, clad in a coat as green as the way, with the leafless tree done on his breast. So nigh to him we were that we heard his cry as he sped along, as ye may hear the lapwing whining, for he said: "POINT AND EDGE, POINT AND EDGE! THE RED WATER AMIDST OF THE HILLS!" In my lifetime such a man hath, to my knowledge, been seen thrice before; and after each sight of him followed evil days and the death of men.'"

-The Well at the World's End, William Morris
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22