Seen any good films lately? [3]

Page 34 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 34 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by David H on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Hmmm. In the screenplay it's as if they were originally planning to go for more of a Shakespearean "E tu Brute? Then fall Caesar" ending. That could have worked too, but especially with a story as layered as the Jesse James myth there's a lot to be said for leaving the ending ambiguous.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 34 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by azriel on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:38 am

Went to see "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood", a Tarantino film starring Leo Di Caprio & Brad ( still good for his age ) Pitt Smile I loved it, thought it was a great film, ran just over 2 & a half hours, did feel longer in some places but, I really liked it.
Spoiler:
It was a "what if" film. what if Sharon Tate had not been murdered
. They had the guy who played Polanski dressed in that blue velvet suit & frilled shirt that I remember him in around the Sharon Tate murder. He didn't speak in the film, not that I remember anyway, just sorta mumbled & that's it. I thought Leo was brilliant in it & there were the odd mickey take quips in it that made the audience laugh. Brad Pitt played his good friend & stunt double & he's pretty calm & laid back.
Spoiler:
Then he gets into a fight with Bruce Lee, was meant to be best of 3, they had 1 apiece before its stopped
The ending was good & I left the cinema feeling happy. Pitt & DI Caprio really worked so well in this film & now they've matured a little its easy to see them play Paul Newman & Robert Redford, especially as "Butch & Sundance".
Spoiler:
Brad feeding his dog was funny & that dog really came thru at the end & thank gawd the dog wasn't hurt Smile
I liked Margot Robbie too. She did not irritate me once. Her role was as Sharon Tate. If you love Tarantino then this film is a must. Its not as gory as his other films as this film is telling a story, its not the usual blow his head off stuff. You see 2 stories happening at the same time but each story means something to that particular person. One doesn't know whats going to happen & one is cracking up. Go see it, hopefully you'll be entertained Smile

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 34 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 34 15403410
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:13 pm

{{ I haven't seen that Az but Ill keep an eye out for it.
But was there a weird spate of making fictionalised versions of the Tate murders in Hollywood?
By an odd coincidence the Better Half put a film on Netflix just the other night which was also a 'what if' retelling of those events (think it was Hilary Duff as Tate), 'The Haunting of Sharon Tate'.
A lot of the acting was ropey, seemed quite low budget, basically its a version where they fight off the would be murderers and escape, sort of, it having themes of resurrection and the premise you relive things till you 'get it right'.
Its not the worst thing Ive ever seen, but its not recommended either save the one interesting idea it had regards resurrection and reliving events, but it seemed somewhat distasteful to me to fictionalise in such a way at all a real life tragedy like that, especially one that's still so close in history and where many of those affected by the murders are still alive. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:31 am

I think I'm coming around to the idea of ranking Brad Pitt and Leo as among the Greats. It's occurred to me that nearly all the actors we think of as being great did their main stuff in their late 30's and later, and Brad and Leo appeared in their 20's, so weren't quite ready. They just needed some years on them.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 am

Aha, but DiCaprio was 19 when he was first nominated for the Academy's best supporting actor award.

"'But whereas we have drunk with thee, who seemest to be a man of lineage, and thou hast been blithe with us, we will tell thee that we have seen one riding south along the Greenway, clad in a coat as green as the way, with the leafless tree done on his breast. So nigh to him we were that we heard his cry as he sped along, as ye may hear the lapwing whining, for he said: "POINT AND EDGE, POINT AND EDGE! THE RED WATER AMIDST OF THE HILLS!" In my lifetime such a man hath, to my knowledge, been seen thrice before; and after each sight of him followed evil days and the death of men.'"

-The Well at the World's End, William Morris
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by David H on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 am

Yeah, if you're referring to his work as the younger brother in "What's Eating Guilbert Grape", that performance was definitely Oscar-worthy. Nod
Worth watching again, now that I'm thinking of it...

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:58 am

I agree Petty. Some things have got to be carefully done. Much like the Progs & film about Princess Diana. Her tragedy is still fresh in many peoples minds but, with "Once Upon a Time" its more about
Spoiler:
following Leo's character as a fading TV show star & his friend Cliff played by Pitt. The Sharon Tate side of it is very small & only just touched on at the end. Manson was never even mentioned. All you see are a group of wacked out hippies & 3 of them decide to murder people on some pretence put into their heads BY Manson. They turn up at the home of Leo to really get him back for an earlier incident & this is when you see Pitt come into his own & boy does he unleash hell, him & his dog !! woo hoo Smile Then after its over & the police collect the hippies & go, then you see Sharon, who lives next door & hasn't even said hello to Leo yet & her friends come down to see if Leo is ok etc & they all go into Sharon's for drinks etc. Its quite minimal really & only at the end. But it was a "what if" poor Sharon had not been murdered, poor thing. There are a few moments when you see Sharon see herself on a Cinema poster but its all only moments.
I think Tarantino did a great job of showing the 60's as a slice of human life.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:21 am

I noticed that. Tarantino made Lee very cocky & I felt that wasn't right at all. I was lead to believe he was a quiet man & didn't show off ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34