Game of Thrones [2]

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25

Go down

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 25 Empty Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Ringdrotten on Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 pm

He is just as boring in the books (in my opinion). At least they got that bit right. Although his storyline I think has not progressed beyond meeting the three eyed raven in the books, which means he will have to make an appearance there as well soon. I hope Martin scraps this whole idea, lets him die of frostbite or something, and pick any of the others. Sorry for all the crabbit

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 25 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Wed May 22, 2019 9:45 pm

no worries I am pretty crabbit as well. Wink I just hope he changes the books so Dany doesn't have to be killed by Jon, that is still upsetting me days later. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed May 22, 2019 10:35 pm

I'd say if anything Jon killing Dany is a foregone conclusion.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten on Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 pm

I have to agree with halfy, and if dany goes zerk mode in the books as well there will be no room for a new Targaryen on the throne after Jon has done what he must. So Bran it is, I guess. And I'll stop there, I'll only whine about that god damn bore anyway.

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 25 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Thu May 23, 2019 12:35 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Sun May 26, 2019 12:00 am

Laughing  this is quite brilliant

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Fri May 31, 2019 1:20 pm

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 pm

so Season 8 got 32 emmys, more than any season before, and people are complaining it didn't deserve it. I see this as RotK sweeping the Oscars: tribute is being given to the show as a whole.

Yeah, season 8 did not live up to the promise, but I thought the show as a whole was a monumental achievement, despite many shortcomings. I think part of problem was that parts of it were truly great, and there was outrage when not all of it lived up to the promise of the great parts.

Anyway, I'm nearing the end of the first book reread. GRRM proves himself a great writer in that each character has a nugget of wisdom to impart to the reader. This is a writer who has observed and thought deeply, and it all comes out in the writing.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:36 pm

During my re-read of Clash of Kings I had a realization.  I and some others I've read were upset at the Dothraki frontal charge on the undead during the battle of Winterfell.  If you know Mongol tactics they would let foot soldiers tie up foot soldiers, then charge from the the side and just roll them up.  This is how they could defeat armies much larger than their own.

But D&D were careful enough readers to have picked up Jon Snow's parentage, and so would have noticed something that Jorah Mormont mentioned offhand to Daenerys: that to the Dothraki, foot soldiers were considered unworthy of anything more than a quick charge to sweep them up.  It seems the only warriors in Essos who had an effective enough shield wall formation to withstand calvary charges were the unsullied, and Jorah was urging Daenerys to pick up an army of them because this made them more formidable than the Dothraki.

Last edited by halfwise on Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Forum-readers, maybe. Mad

Anyway, what are you getting at Halfy? That the Unsullied and Dothraki complement each other really well?

"'But whereas we have drunk with thee, who seemest to be a man of lineage, and thou hast been blithe with us, we will tell thee that we have seen one riding south along the Greenway, clad in a coat as green as the way, with the leafless tree done on his breast. So nigh to him we were that we heard his cry as he sped along, as ye may hear the lapwing whining, for he said: "POINT AND EDGE, POINT AND EDGE! THE RED WATER AMIDST OF THE HILLS!" In my lifetime such a man hath, to my knowledge, been seen thrice before; and after each sight of him followed evil days and the death of men.'"

-The Well at the World's End, William Morris
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:29 pm

What I've getting at is those who criticized the frontal Dothraki charge (I was one of them) may have done the show a disservice: this was actually authentic to the Dothraki, and so though it can be criticized on tactical terms it can't be attacked as just dumb writing.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Ah, well, it was not the Dothraki in charge, but the named characters. And the shiny sparkle of their badges of ineptitude continues unabated.

"'But whereas we have drunk with thee, who seemest to be a man of lineage, and thou hast been blithe with us, we will tell thee that we have seen one riding south along the Greenway, clad in a coat as green as the way, with the leafless tree done on his breast. So nigh to him we were that we heard his cry as he sped along, as ye may hear the lapwing whining, for he said: "POINT AND EDGE, POINT AND EDGE! THE RED WATER AMIDST OF THE HILLS!" In my lifetime such a man hath, to my knowledge, been seen thrice before; and after each sight of him followed evil days and the death of men.'"

-The Well at the World's End, William Morris
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25