Post by chris63 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:44 am

Back to top Go down

Re: Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:12 pm

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:26 am

This guy is considerably more optimistic than I am that Amazon will stick closer to the book lore than the films--or going off in their own direction. Christopher's opposition to the films seems less relevant now that he appears to be scaling back his involvement, including resigning his role as a director of the Estate, and the family members now most involved seem to take a considerably brighter view of adaptations in general. (I'd previously thought Adam Tolkien was the most likely one to take a leading role but that appears not to have happened.) We still don't know how much of a connection, if any, the series will have with the films, but I think it's more likely than not that Amazon will take at least some cues from them, in visual design if nothing else.

His presentation of the rights situation is somewhat odd. Unless he has inside sources, there's been no indication of a second deal, which means that The Silmarillion and Tolkien's other posthumously published works are almost certainly not available to the showrunners. The Appendices presumably are, though--the film rights to them were never separated from the rest of LOTR and I don't see any reason to assume that the TV rights deal differed in that respect. It would hardly be possible to make a Young Aragorn series without them. That doesn't have any bearing on TS, UT, or HoMe, though.

I don't think it was customary for young heirs of the Chieftains of the Dúnedain to be fostered in Rivendell. My best guess as to the source for that statement is The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen--"[t]hen Aragorn, being now the Heir of Isildur, was taken with his mother to dwell in the house of Elrond"--but my reading of this is that Elrond's decision was very specific to Aragorn's situation, being otherwise fatherless at a very young age as well as the subject of a quasi-prophecy by his grandmother Ivorwen that he was the last chance to bring hope to the Dúnedain "while this age lasts". Never mind, I'm an idiot: the bit about fostering was explicitly stated earlier in Appendix A.

I agree that it would be really cool to see parts of the East and South of Middle-earth that we've never previously glimpsed, even if it would be in the form of authorized fanfic. Harad is an area of particular interest to me based on my own Lore studies over the years. I think the Black Númenóreans most likely still existed in a number of city-states throughout Near Harad even at the end of the Third Age, not just in Umbar, but that's a sorta revisionist view so I can't criticize the video guy for suggesting otherwise. As for Khand--I didn't know this until many years after first reading LOTR, but Variag is actually a form of Varangian, and in the context of Middle-earth probably not a demonym but rather a descriptor of the military forces sent to participate in the War of the Ring. AFAIK David Salo was the first person to raise this possibility back in the '90s, but Michael Martinez has a really good discussion of the topic on one of his blogs.

I think it's doubtful that the Easterlings of the Third Age had any significant connection to/preserved traditions of the First Age Easterlings of Beleriand. We don't even know if they were directly descended from them at all, though they undoubtedly shared common descent from the ancient Morgothian peoples of the early First Age who opposed the ancestors of the Edain before their westward migration. "Easterling" was a term used by the Men of the West and might plausibly have been applied to the Third Age peoples solely by way of historical analogy.

I agree with his take on why the characterization of Aragorn differs in the films from the books, and this is one of the areas where I admit that a deviation from the film continuity seems most likely. Since the films postponed so much of Aragorn's character development, it would be considerably more difficult to give him a character arc that is satisfying as a prequel if they prioritize consistency with the Jackson films.

Last edited by Eldy on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 am

Well, if you were doing the showrunning, I might feel more (at all?) exited. Nod

Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 am

Thanks, Blue. Razz Unfortunately I just remembered something and realized I fucked up with my critique re: the heirs of the Chieftains of the Dúnedain (see above edit). Not doing much for my reputation--I'm definitely rusty. Neutral

I'm actually not convinced that having people who make serious scholarly study of Tolkien's works in creative control of adaptations would be ideal. Perhaps if there was someone equally gifted as a scholar and a screenwriter, but I think the two approaches are best served by somewhat different sensibilities. I certainly hope that they have people familiar with the Lore on hand as consultants, though.
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum