Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Page 35 of 35 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35

Go down

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 35 Empty Re: Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Post by Mrs Figg on Mon May 11, 2020 2:03 pm

At least New Zealand is probably the safest place on the planet right now.

Back to top Go down

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 35 Empty Re: Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Post by Forest Shepherd on Wed May 13, 2020 1:33 am

halfwise wrote:No, warrior Arwen was filmed and taken out.  I'd have to search through the appendices, but at one point Phillipa Boyens explicitly said (about what I don't remember) that when they tried to depart from Tolkien it didn't work and it was only after wrestling with alternatives that they found Tolkien's original story worked best.  I think it was John Rhees Davies who refused to look at scripts until the night before shooting because they kept changing, and it got worse as the production went on.  This implies Fellowship was more worked out than the rest.
Yes, Arwen in Helm's Deep was filmed, and I remember that bit where Boyens was saying that. Buuuuut that part always smelled of kissing-up to me. She has a habit of saying how great Tolkien is and how much they want to "honour" the work they've been given, but then they go and have Sam and Frodo fight over food. It's PR!

I was confused by the previous post of yours, because you said that Fellowship had the most editing. I can't follow that, because you'd think that all three film's scripts had the same amount of editing done to them because of the concurrent shooting schedules. The second and third films had a year and two more time than the first film between the end of filming and the realse, so they would have been altered the most from what they looked like at the end of filming.

If that makes sense.

Basically, the films were not shot chronologically, so all three had scripts at the same level of polish before filming started. Films two and three had the most post-production time.

and a thousand tongues had told
that I would sink to these ways
that I would fall on these days--
the days I have fallen on
the ways I have sunk into.

-Instructions and a Warning, The Kalevala
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed May 13, 2020 12:09 pm

True, true; not shot chronologically.  I was talking about editing of the script before shooting, but I think Fellowship still was packed in front because it didn't include any of the later sets like Helm's deep and Minas Tirith.  So it would have been worked out more before shooting began, while parts of the story involving these other sets would had more workshopping while shooting was in progress.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Thu May 14, 2020 5:30 am

Hm perhaps so, my memory of which was shot first is hazy.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Thu May 14, 2020 1:27 pm

Viggo Mortenson's first scene was Weathertop. The quarry used for Helm's Deep was converted to Minas Tirith. So though not shot chronologically I'd say it was semi chronological, with Fellowship loaded near the front so that the revisions have a greater likelyhood of happening before production began.

It turns out all the mentions of revising and getting closer to Tolkien were made in the first appendix "finding the story" - and it's mentioned by about 3 people, so it's not just a throw-out line, it's general consensus.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat May 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Or they were united in their PR maneuvers... I don't believe for a second that the writing team actually thought that the closer they got to Tolkien the better the script became, for obvious reasons.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sat May 16, 2020 6:39 pm

That sounds like conspiracy thinking. Isn't it easier to think people are dumbasses than to think they managed to cleverly orchestrate something?

The dumbass approach is to take a very popular book and think that since it doesn't conform to script writing 101 it must be changed to conform. Then slowly come to realize that it's better to ignore conventional wisdom and just use what you were given.

Otherwise you have a bunch of people who are telling each other "Hey, a bunch of fans will be mad that we changed things. Maybe we should tell them that it was worse before because we were dumbass enough to ignore Tolkien, but then discovered that using the source material is actually a better to go. That will make us look like Tolkien heroes!"

Believe the second one if you want, but my experience is people in general can't pull their shit together well enough to accomplish hidden conspiracies. This explains both why crooks think they are so clever, and why they so often get caught.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat May 16, 2020 8:46 pm

Conspiracy nothing! The special features for the films are a curated series of clips and interviews meant to yes, give us a look behind the scenes, but also to present the cast and crew in a good light. You don't get things like actor's rants on special features, or break-downs on set. And you can be sure that the writers will generally not say things like, "Well this part of the book we thought rather pointless, and so we cut out all that fiddle-faddle about Bombadil and his stupid outfit!"

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 35 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35