Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Are you currently happy with the current democratic state of Forumshire and the relationship between the Adminship and prominent press organizations?

20% 20% 
[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
10% 10% 
[ 1 ]
70% 70% 
[ 7 ]
 
Total Votes : 10

Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:43 pm

A commission is hereby established to look into the health of Forumshire's constitutional approach to democracy.

Since the involvement of prominent Forumshire institutions are in question, I assume the role of independent ombudsman, and will head the commission.

The following statement outlines the facts upon which this Commission was established:

Spoiler:

Earlier today, (former) admin Eldorion admitted to an (admittedly, impressive) smear campaign against one of the frontrunners in a past mayoral election while he was admin:

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:
Eldorion wrote:Issue no. 14

Masterful lol!

*bows*

The Diamond Banks account was really dumb ("North-Banks of Large Cleave" is a really lame pun on a really obscure reference) but I had fun with it during that election cycle. Laughing

A fact aforementioned admin we have been informed by divine intervention also proudly put in his autobiography, before the eyes of man, and, it seems, god:

Increased activity in November and December also meant that we were finally able to hold the first Forumshire Mayoral elections, which had been in discussion since that summer.  The election became a project in community-building and activity-encouraging, as well as just being a lot of fun, as numerous candidates were introduced for the newly created position of Mayor of Forumshire, an office that had conspicuously few (no) rights or responsibilities attached to it.  The main candidates were Pretty, Orwell, and Kafria.  Pretty cut a deal with me and undertook a smear campaign to knock Odo out of the race.  This was accomplished by me registering an alternate account called “Diamond Banks”, the first and I think only time someone other than Odo created a Banks account, to post unsavory but plausible rumors about Odo's forum past.  Odo withdrew from the race in a pique of respectability, but Pretty ultimately fell in the final ballot to Kafria, whose first act in office was to threaten to ban the Page 3 Hobbit Lass of the Day.
https://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t847p15-forumshire-the-first-five-years#116738

Subsequently to this smear campaign being put into effect, the NotP ran a straight attack add against said candidate.

Spoiler:

In hindsight this comission was set up to do an on merit study of the democratic health of Forumshire and the relationship between the Admins Office and leaing newspapers.

This Commission will look into the the current state of Forumshire democracy in light of recent relevations as to the intimate relationship between the Forumshire press and executive. The committe will specifically look into the impact of this relationship on the right to freedom of access to information of the population of the aforementioned shire, as to the Forumshire unwritten Constitution art. 2 (17).

The Commission does not assume sanctioning ability, but will ask testimonies to be truthful, for the benefit of all concerned, and ask the admin to asume this spirit. The commission will end its investigation with a report on the stae of Forumshire society.

Prominent bodies that will be investigated: The Adminship, the Mayorship, the press conglomerate Pure Publications Incorporated, (suspected seat: Bahamas) the press conglomerate The Archet Bugle, the press conglomerate Admin News.

The following people are hereby named to the committe to fulfill the membership requirements (4, four) as of the Forumshire Committe Statute, hereafter known as the committe: Ringdrotten, Ally, Bangail (absent members have been chosen to ensure neutrality of the commissions operation.)

Hereby a period of public consultation is instigated, that will last thirty (30) days. Any additional opinions, feelings on the state of Forumshire democracy or the aforementioned investigated bodies and the relationship betwen the press and Forumshire institutions are warmly welcome.


Last edited by Bluebottle on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:31 am; edited 4 times in total

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Amarië on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 pm

{{{{{lol! }}}}}

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius


Today the Shire, DarkPlanet cat. Tomorrow... THE WORLD!

 #amarieco
avatar
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Posts : 4778
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 37
Location : The Dark Planet Embassy, Main str. Needlehole.

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 pm

The Commission welcomes the following statement by an associate of Pure Publications:

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{Pure Publication follows a policy of 'Fair use' if they use something that's fair enough according to them!  Nod  }}}

The Commission notes said statements confidential manner, (note squiggles) and ask other press conglomeratees not to futher communicate it to the public at this time.

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Eldorion on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:25 pm

I hope this doesn't distract you from the important task of determining whether Eru and Manwë really posted on Forumshire earlier this month. Suspect

The committe will specifically look into the impact of this relationship on the right to freedom of access to information of the population of the aforementioned shire, as to the Forumshire unwritten Constitution art. 2 (17).

I refer you to esteemed legal scholar Petty McTyrant's summary of Forumshire's unwritten constitution (2014):

https://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t1016-norc-for-presidency#144690

Cant we just do what we normally do when faced with a tricky situation- hold a fair and free democratic vote, have a mod meeting, count the votes, throw that in the bin and wait for Eldo to tell us the result before announcing the winner to the plebs, I mean public? Its worked every other time  Shrugging 

Swap out the name for our beloved current Admin and I think the constitutional principle still holds true, but I claim sovereign immunity for any actions that I may or may not have taken between February 2011 and January 2016. Nod
avatar
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Posts : 23311
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 23
Location : Maryland, United States

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Eldorion wrote:I hope this doesn't distract you from the important task of determining whether Eru and Manwë really posted on Forumshire earlier this month. Suspect

Like Project Blue Book, we have shelved the investigation in lieu of further evidence.  silent  You should know, you are after all part of it  Surprised

Eldorion wrote:
The committe will specifically look into the impact of this relationship on the right to freedom of access to information of the population of the aforementioned shire, as to the Forumshire unwritten Constitution art. 2 (17).

I refer you to esteemed legal scholar Petty McTyrant's summary of Forumshire's unwritten constitution (2014):

https://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t1016-norc-for-presidency#144690

Cant we just do what we normally do when faced with a tricky situation- hold a fair and free democratic vote, have a mod meeting, count the votes, throw that in the bin and wait for Eldo to tell us the result before announcing the winner to the plebs, I mean public? Its worked every other time  Shrugging 

The Commission is a little unsure that we see this approach to democratic guarantees as, potentially, mitigating.  Suspect  We will however express our thanks and note the information of internal admin tower practices. Nod

Eldorion wrote:Swap out the name for our beloved current Admin and I think the constitutional principle still holds true, but I claim sovereign immunity for any actions that I may or may not have taken between February 2011 and January 2016. Nod

Noted, the Commission are prepared to extend qualified immunity as the unwritten constitution allows with consent. (note by analogue Harlow v. Fitzgerald)

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by halfwise on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:39 pm

How come the syllable count is so unaccountably high on this thread? Does it come from having a theoretically unwritten constitution that requires obfuscating terminology?

_________________
Halfwise, son of Halfwit. Brother of Nitwit, son of Halfwit. Half brother of Figwit.
Then it gets complicated...
avatar
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Posts : 14143
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : rustic broom closet in farthing of Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 pm

It is a parody of pompus legaleeze, m'lad Nod

I will put a description of the reason for this commission in the original post, to clarify the question somewhat.

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Manwe Sulimo on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:45 pm

A little birdie (well, okay, a Great Eagle) has informed me that this isn't the first time the former Admin has spoken about the 2011 election.

https://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t847p15-forumshire-the-first-five-years#116738

Increased activity in November and December also meant that we were finally able to hold the first Forumshire Mayoral elections, which had been in discussion since that summer. The election became a project in community-building and activity-encouraging, as well as just being a lot of fun, as numerous candidates were introduced for the newly created position of Mayor of Forumshire, an office that had conspicuously few (no) rights or responsibilities attached to it. The main candidates were Pretty, Orwell, and Kafria. Pretty cut a deal with me and undertook a smear campaign to knock Odo out of the race. This was accomplished by me registering an alternate account called “Diamond Banks”, the first and I think only time someone other than Odo created a Banks account, to post unsavory but plausible rumors about Odo's forum past. Odo withdrew from the race in a pique of respectability, but Pretty ultimately fell in the final ballot to Kafria, whose first act in office was to threaten to ban the Page 3 Hobbit Lass of the Day.


Last edited by Manwe Sulimo on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Manwe Sulimo
Lucky Number

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-08-07
Location : Taniquetil

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Manwe Sulimo on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 pm

Also:

Bluebottle wrote:Like Project Blue Book, we have shelved the investigation in lieu of further evidence.  silent  You should know, you are after all part of it  Surprised

Insufficient evidence my Ainu ass. Mad I will not stand for this disrespect from people who continue to insinuate that I am not truly Manwë Súlimo, King of Arda. Have I not said as much to this forum in years past?
avatar
Manwe Sulimo
Lucky Number

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-08-07
Location : Taniquetil

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:00 am

{{{{ I would just like to state for the record that I only deliver the NotP- I therefore excuse myself from all questioning, suspicion, rumour or anything which in any way, fashion, or means might interrupt my planned evening buckie drinking. drunken Or tomorrow mornings drinking, or tomorrow afternoon's drinking or tomorrow evenings drinking drunken or in fact every day's drinking. drunken drunken }}}

_________________
Pure Publications, The Tower of Lore and the Former Admin's Office are Reasonably Proud to Present-



A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.


- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 40305
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Eru on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:10 am

Manwe Sulimo wrote:Insufficient evidence my Ainu ass. Mad I will not stand for this disrespect from people who continue to insinuate that I am not truly Manwë Súlimo, King of Arda. Have I not said as much to this forum in years past?

My son, do not take it to heart.  The thing that separates the true believers from the chaff is Faith without Seeing, and as such, I, Eru Ilúvatar, shall continue to provide no evidence for my Holy Existence whatsoever.

_________________
I am who I am.
avatar
Eru
God

Posts : 37
Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Everywhere

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:24 am

Dear God Shocked

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:26 am

Manwe Sulimo wrote:A little birdie (well, okay, a Great Eagle) has informed me that this isn't the first time the former Admin has spoken about the 2011 election.

https://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t847p15-forumshire-the-first-five-years#116738

Increased activity in November and December also meant that we were finally able to hold the first Forumshire Mayoral elections, which had been in discussion since that summer.  The election became a project in community-building and activity-encouraging, as well as just being a lot of fun, as numerous candidates were introduced for the newly created position of Mayor of Forumshire, an office that had conspicuously few (no) rights or responsibilities attached to it.  The main candidates were Pretty, Orwell, and Kafria.  Pretty cut a deal with me and undertook a smear campaign to knock Odo out of the race.  This was accomplished by me registering an alternate account called “Diamond Banks”, the first and I think only time someone other than Odo created a Banks account, to post unsavory but plausible rumors about Odo's forum past.  Odo withdrew from the race in a pique of respectability, but Pretty ultimately fell in the final ballot to Kafria, whose first act in office was to threaten to ban the Page 3 Hobbit Lass of the Day.

This is highly relevant, the commission of course offers its must humble prevarications. study


Last edited by Bluebottle on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:26 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{{ I would just like to state for the record that I only deliver the NotP- I therefore excuse myself from all questioning, suspicion, rumour or anything which in any way, fashion, or means might interrupt my planned evening buckie drinking. drunken Or tomorrow mornings drinking, or tomorrow afternoon's drinking or tomorrow evenings drinking drunken  or in fact every day's drinking. drunken drunken }}}

Some would say that is rather.. suspicious :brows:

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Eru on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:46 am

Bluebottle wrote:Dear God Shocked

Yes, my wayward child?

_________________
I am who I am.
avatar
Eru
God

Posts : 37
Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Everywhere

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by halfwise on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:58 am

I shall have to look into this page 3 hobbit lass of the day. I assume the Archet Bugle to be far to respectable for this type of thing, so it must have been in News of the Pure.

_________________
Halfwise, son of Halfwit. Brother of Nitwit, son of Halfwit. Half brother of Figwit.
Then it gets complicated...
avatar
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Posts : 14143
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : rustic broom closet in farthing of Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Eldorion on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:10 am

Manwe Sulimo wrote:A little birdie (well, okay, a Great Eagle) has informed me that this isn't the first time the former Admin has spoken about the 2011 election.

Are you still that mad at me over the Kenelm incident that you'd turn tattletale? Rolling Eyes
avatar
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Posts : 23311
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 23
Location : Maryland, United States

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Eldorion on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:11 am

halfwise wrote:I shall have to look into this page 3 hobbit lass of the day.  I assume the Archet Bugle to be far to respectable for this type of thing, so it must have been in News of the Pure.

If you look through the new Pure Publications archive thread the Page 3 Hobbit Lass of the Day is on, well, page 3 of most NotP issues (which usually appears in the second image since the wider ones show two pages of the paper).
avatar
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Posts : 23311
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 23
Location : Maryland, United States

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Forest Shepherd on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:19 am

We're part of a Constitutional Democracy? I thought we were currently under a Mod-led dictatorship instigated in the "dead of night" without any kind of public foreknowledge whatsoever. A regime, as I recall, that is equal-parts benevolent and duplicitious with the oft-alluded-to-but-never-clearly-explained-to-plebs-like-me "Dark Planet". Perhaps some of you will recall the recent Day of Darkness, when Forumshire's greenery was replaced by a deathly shade of very dark gray.

Anyway, I really don't see the point of opening a committee to investigate whether past "elections" violated an unwritten constitution that the committee seems to be actively making-up. Surely this is a case of creating the law to suit one's needs in the moment. Despite the impressive legalese I call the legitimacy of this entire investigation into question!

_________________
Boar is badger, named after wood,
Not after forest but trees.
Where did you play on a rainy day?
Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
avatar
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Posts : 4006
Join date : 2013-11-02
Age : 27
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:37 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:We're part of a Constitutional Democracy? I thought we were currently under a Mod-led dictatorship instigated in the "dead of night" without any kind of public foreknowledge whatsoever. A regime, as I recall, that is equal-parts benevolent and duplicitious with the oft-alluded-to-but-never-clearly-explained-to-plebs-like-me "Dark Planet". Perhaps some of you will recall the recent Day of Darkness, when Forumshire's greenery was replaced by a deathly shade of very dark gray.

Anyway, I really don't see the point of opening a committee to investigate whether past "elections" violated an unwritten constitution that the committee seems to be actively making-up. Surely this is a case of creating the law to suit one's needs in the moment. Despite the impressive legalese I call the legitimacy of this entire investigation into question!

Dear Mr Shepherd (Provost, Dairy Herd Management) we thank you for your response and the deifciencies you have observed wth the Forumshire political system. They will be noted and may form part of our final report.

We are deeply berieved to hear of your lack of faith in the legitimacy of our Commission, in particular as you seem to have several legitimate concerns about our political system. As ombudsman I would like to personally thank you for your concern and time, and note that our office is completely independent of the Forumshire political institutions.

With hope for a better future,

Eat a peach,

Yours.. etc.

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:40 am

Eru wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Dear God Shocked

Yes, my wayward child?

Suspect affraid

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Manwe Sulimo on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Eru wrote:My son, do not take it to heart.  The thing that separates the true believers from the chaff is Faith without Seeing, and as such, I, Eru Ilúvatar, shall continue to provide no evidence for my Holy Existence whatsoever.

I know, dad, I know. Sometimes I miss the old days when I could send out the Host of the Valar or sink part of a continent just to make a point though, you feel me?

Eldorion wrote:Are you still that mad at me over the Kenelm incident that you'd turn tattletale? Rolling Eyes

I'll have you know that Mandos isn't any happier about your disrespect of my servant Kenelm and the faith of the Valar than I am, so even if I were to forget, your day of reckoning is coming one way or another. Suspect
avatar
Manwe Sulimo
Lucky Number

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-08-07
Location : Taniquetil

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Eru on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:15 am

Manwe Sulimo wrote:
Eru wrote:My son, do not take it to heart.  The thing that separates the true believers from the chaff is Faith without Seeing, and as such, I, Eru Ilúvatar, shall continue to provide no evidence for my Holy Existence whatsoever.

I know, dad, I know. Sometimes I miss the old days when I could send out the Host of the Valar or sink part of a continent just to make a point though, you feel me?

Yes, yes, I certainly remember the days when you ruined all my hard work on those continents with impunity every time some idiot mildly offended you. Do you know how many of my naps you ruined with the screaming armies and noisy earthquakes?

{{{Besides, it'll be far more glorious to sink it all at once, anyway. Patience is a virtue, my boy.}}}

_________________
I am who I am.
avatar
Eru
God

Posts : 37
Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Everywhere

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Bluebottle on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:50 am

It might be time to reopen a certain..  Suspect

But why would I distract from my coming report on the state of Forumshire democracy Very Happy I suspect that would be just what the powers that be would like :brows: I won't get distracted by issues of agnosticism Mad

_________________
“We're doomed,” he says, casually. “There's no question about that. But it's OK to be doomed because then you can just enjoy your life."
avatar
Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Posts : 9839
Join date : 2013-11-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Commission: The state of Forumshire constitutional democracy

Post by Freedom76 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 am

Bluebottle wrote:It might be time to reopen a certain..  Suspect

But why would I distract from my coming report on the state of Forumshire democracy Very Happy I suspect that would be just what the powers that be would like :brows: I won't get distracted by issues of agnosticism Mad

Much as I love democracy and, of course, freedom, I can't help but feel that you are approaching this in the wrong way. Who's to say that these two issues are separate? I can't help but notice that this alleged "Eru" has been given a custom title. Mad
avatar
Freedom76
Shireling

Posts : 16
Join date : 2011-05-16
Location : AMERICA

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum