Wonders of Biology

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wonders of Biology - Page 2 Empty Re: Wonders of Biology

Post by azriel on Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:19 pm

Well, you leave scientists alone to play & anything is possible...….

Wonders of Biology - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Wonders of Biology - Page 2 15403410
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Yesterday at 4:34 am

{{ Two completely unrelated studies, but weirdly related and not a little disturbing, have ben released.

First a US bunch of scientists reviving dead pig brains!

'US scientists have partially revived pig brains four hours after the animals were slaughtered....The study showed the death of brain cells could be halted and that some connections in the brain were restored....Four hours later the organs were connected to a system made by the team at Yale University.
It rhythmically pumped (to mimic the pulse) a specially designed liquid round the brain, which contained a synthetic blood to carry oxygen and drugs to slow or reverse the death of brain cells.
The pig brains were given the restorative cocktail for six hours...The researchers found working synapses...The brains also showed a normal response to medication and used up the same amount of oxygen as a normal brain.
This was all 10 hours after the pigs were decapitated..."What we are showing is the process of cell death is a gradual, stepwise process.
"And that some of those processes can be either postponed, preserved or even reversed."...the Yale scientists were so concerned the pigs might become conscious that they gave drugs to the disembodied brains to reduce any brain activity.
And the team were constantly monitoring the brains to see if there was any sign of higher brain functions.
In that case they would have used anaesthetic and ended the experiment..."If, in the future, it were possible to restore the function of the brain after death, to bring back someone's mind and personality, that would, of course, have important implications for our definitions of death."

So um yeah, there's that. And one wonders had they not given the pigs heads drugs to reduce the chances of consciousness returning would the pigs have been aware? No  And 4 hours is a long time, what would the results have been had they done it immediately after 'death'?

And the second study is this one-

'We know we are dead when we die because our brains keep working to make us aware of what's happening around us...a new study suggests your consciousness carries on functioning after your heart stops beating and your body movements fail...This means you are essentially 'trapped' inside your dead body with your brain still working, if only for a short time...Dr. Sam Parnia is studying consciousness after death and examining cardiac arrest cases in Europe and the US...He says people in the first phase of death may still experience some form of consciousness...there is evidence to suggest the deceased may even hear themselves being pronounced dead by doctors.'

So yeah, when you die you might know your dead for a bit before switching off, and even then theres a chance some mad scientists is going to lop your head off stick it in a jar and reanimate you!!  Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Yesterday at 12:32 pm

It all makes sense. On the hopeful side, this means it may be possible to keep the brain alive while the body is worked on and resuscitated. Nearly everything can be restored except the brain, given enough time.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Yesterday at 3:48 pm

That makes sense to me. About 15 years ago I spent a bit of time in the Critical Care Unit with machines keeping me alive. I remember I had some crazy dreams of drowning, with voices periodically that I took to be the Coast Guard trying to save me. A couple days later when I was awake I told the CCI nurse about this and she said, "That was me. I was talking to you." She's one of my heroes! cheers

Since then I've always assumed that an unconscious person is still listening....

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Yesterday at 5:24 pm

You keep telling the ends of stories without the rest of it, Dave! Mad

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Yesterday at 6:36 pm

so, when the executioner holds up a fresh head from the Guillotine does the Head think.." Fuck ! look at all those people, turned out to see ME !"

Wonders of Biology - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Wonders of Biology - Page 2 15403410
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2