The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018)

Post by Eldy on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:52 am

halfwise wrote:Did Children of Hurin make a massive splash? Shocked  I thought it was only occasionally mentioned outside the geekosphere.

It topped the NYT fiction bestsellers list (link), though only for one week. Beren and Lúthien peaked at number six on the hardcover fiction list last year, though it doesn't even appear in the top 15 on the combined print and e-book list for that week.

I don't recall a whole lot about pop culture events from 2007 in general, but just considering online Tolkien fandom, it received orders of magnitude more attention than Beren and Lúthien or The Fall of Gondolin, presumably because there was a lot more activity at the time. I don't work in a bookstore anymore but I recall Tolkien's Beowulf translation (published in 2014) getting more of a push than B&L did last year. I can't comment beyond my experience/that of my store, though. Shrugging
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:53 am

Aaaaaand simulpost while I was digging up links. Razz
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:35 am

I was actually disappointed in Tolkien's Beowulf, I think perhaps because some of the more poetic things translators had come up with were brought back to earth by JRRT. For instance "whale-road" became "whale-way".

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:31 am

I like Heaney's Beowulf. Smile

Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:38 am

That name sounds familiar.  For me the test of Beowulf comes when reading the first description of the underwater cave where Grendel and his mother lives: the meer surrounded by tangled hoar-frosted trees; the fire in the water; the stag that when chased by wolves will turn to fight at the waters edge rather than swim to save itself.  The description should raise the hair on the back of your neck.  I have a translation by Michael Alexander which doesn't quite get you there, but I remember reading another version which raised goose bumps; it may have been the Heaney translation.

I think it's okay for a translator to be a little less precise in order to capture the proper feeling.  I feel Tolkien aimed more for precision, and I wanted him to rather bring forth his writer's gifts.  The archaeologist Norman Hammond presented a translation of the opening lines of Gilgamesh which were superb and I wish he would come out with a translation of the full text.  What I have feels pedestrian in comparison.

A fun comparison of translations: http://www.editoreric.com/greatlit/books/Beowulf-translations.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:09 pm

{{I haven't had the chance to get Tolkien's translation- and that comparison of opening passages doesn't include him- you wouldn't happen to have Tolkien's opening would you so I can see what he did with it- I have the audio book version, the Heaney translation.Its also on youtube- }}

{{Though reading the comments on that it seems 's abridged }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:27 pm

I bought Tolkien's Beowulf but I never got round to reading much of it, the annotations and editorial commentary were pretty interesting as I recall, but as someone with little exposure or knowledge of the legend and Old English in general, I found Tolkien's translation a little hard to get into, the completist in me bought it because of the Tolkien name, probably should have done a bit more research beforehand, heard good things about the Heaney translation. Doubt I will get B+L or Gondolin anytime soon, as I've already got all the HOME volumes and Alan Lee's illustrations seem a bit drab and phoned in in his more recent work i.m.o...

I'll give it another shot someday, but I always have lots more on my to read pile of books anyway...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:55 pm

I would have quoted Tolkien's version, but I can't find the damn thing! Mad   should be stacked with all my other Tolkien books but not to be found. It will surface in a few years....

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:31 am

I think if I already owned the HoME volumes I would not have bought FoG. But, its a nice set to have if you don't have access to HoME (and I'm probably never going to purchase them).
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 am

I'm glad you're enjoying your copy, THA. Thumbs Up
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3