All New Who

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Re: All New Who

Post by azriel on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 pm

Having not seeing Dr who I cant comment but, from little I have seen I believe this guy with no questions asked, that shows how feck awful this Dr is. Had it been directed at Capaldi or Tennant or any other Dr I would have said "hold the horses boy'oh !" I would have had faith in the previous Dr's to have supported them. But this new Dr ? HA ! & HA ! again.

azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 am

My first episode. I like the characters, but the story in this was kind of dumb.

From "The True Tale of the Un-magical Coal Scuttle."
Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:07 am

halfwise wrote:I think you folks could stop watching it now.
Why? scratch

Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:13 am

but the story in this was kind of dumb- Orwell

{{Orwell! cheers and yeah, I'd get used to that if you're going to watch this series! Mad  }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 am

Ugh The Witchfinders just stopped 4/5ths of the way through the episode, and then tried to start again. So much talking to cover up how the episode had no way to end naturally.

On the plus side, Alan Cumming's look of smug satisfaction after burning the witch was rather amusing.

Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.

Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 am

Just started "It Takes You Away".
Someone's been watching It Comes At Night.

Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.

Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:03 am

Just started "It Takes You Away"- Forest

{{I was about to go to bed, but tempted now stay up long enough to see what you think by the end! }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:30 am

Nearly there. The Doctor keeps explaining why the magic-sonic doesn't work now for various reasons.

And just explaining the plot. It's really unsatisfying.

Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.

Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:48 am

But hey, the
Spoiler:
bit with the solutract or whatever as a frog had some potential. It and the lizardly-carnivorous fellow were the highlights of the episode for me. These creative touches give the episode enough interest to carry us past the heavy-handed metaphors, boring talking bits, and rather poor action sequences. The ending even felt a little nice: that little moment between Graham and... what's-his-name.
Edit: Ryan! That's the name. Anyway, I read your thoughts Petty and I get not liking the frog: it is rather poorly animated. I liked how weird it was, just made me smile. I guess I like talking frogs. Still a rather lame episode.

Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.

Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:39 am

{{Its not so much I had an issue with it being there, just that it didn't make sense narratively to take that form and it was so badly done- there are cheap ads for car insurance being sold by better done and animated characters than it!! If your going to do that sort of thing you have to make it at least look convincing first, especially in this day and age. }}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:04 pm

{{You know, even assuming this was a good episode, and I'm sure there will be those who enjoyed it, it still has to go down as the lamest lead into a series finale in NuWho.

In RTD's first series at this point we were getting the BAD WOLF resolution being set up, the revelation that the Daleks survived the war and rebuilt with the appearance of an entire fleet, Captain Jack. the Doctor dealing with the fact it was all his fault from last time he was there 100 years earlier as ell as the horror and anger  at seeing the Daleks alive and reformeed and stakes through the roof and a big cliffhanger to pull you back for the finale.

In Moffats first run we were getting the first of the two part finale- the conclusion to the cracks in time arc and the resolution of two character arcs- Amy's and Rory's, as well as Amy and the Doctor's relationship moving on to a different level of understanding, and we were left on another massive cliff-hanger, with the Doctor trapped in the Pandorica with all his foes allied against him, auton Rory shooting Amy seemingly dead, and the TARDIS exploding! Making you want to come back for the finale to see how it could all be resolved.

In Chibbers first run we got a simple, self-contained tale about a sad universe who just wanted a friend and a big metaphor about grief
Spoiler:
and a talking frog
. No set up for anything, no cliffhanger, nothing to make you feel like you have to see how it all ends next week.
The only character arc we have had all series for the companions is Ryan calling Grahame Grandad-
Spoiler:
and they resolved that this week so that's done before the finale is even reached!
(oh and Yaz's search for a character and personality, which after 9 episodes she astonishingly has still not found either of).

There is no sense at all we are even approaching the finale of the series, no growing threat (well there has been no threats all series worth the name) no character arcs the Doctor or her companions have been on we are waiting to be resolved or come to fruition. Nothing.

We'll probably get the Stenzar back and every reference to anything bad happening all series will have been secretly them somehow to make it seem clever. Mad }}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:34 pm

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:48 pm

I dislike the dumbing down, the pc clap-trap, the sheer boredom, misery and lack of magic of Chibbers version. I am hoping its all going to go Bobby Ewing and it all happens to be a bad dream in the real Doctors imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:03 pm

{{{  i find it astonishing that with some of the episodes we have not, least Chibbers own Tsundgra Conundrum, that he turned down pitches from established quality Who writers like Jamie Maitheson (Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, The Girl Who Died)- I cannot believe that what he ptiched was not better than what we have got. }}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Look at it this way. For all the dullness, tedium, & god awful acting & scripts, the next Dr is going to be so utterly good in comparison that even if the next Dr's stories were plain they will seem brilliant after this !!! So, chaps, it can only get better Smile something to look forward to I say Smile

azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:48 pm

I want to be the next Doctor Who. I would be a Northern Donna with extra sarcasm and the first thing I would do is dump that 'fam'. Suspect
cranks on the TARDIS, whhhwhooocrump!
Doctor Me. "Here we are then... London 2018. that's where I picked you lot from isn't it? good good.. nice knowing you. chop! chop! , theres the door, pick you up next Tuesday, got things to do, Zarbushian cats to de-flea...bye bye, don't forget your coat....no Ryan next Tuesday..
clang!
"phew thank gawd they are gone, miserable gits..thats next Tuesday in 200 years he he!"
whoosh whooshclang!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:42 am

{{Nagual sent me a spoiler for what he thinks the finale will be Very Happy }}

Mark Addy: Grrrr! I'm gonna destroy the universe!

Doctor: Aww do you want talk about it?

Graham: I'll get the kettle on.

Ryan: I'll be ready to give the post chat hug.

Yaz: I'll stand at the back looking super serious.

THE END

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:12 pm

yep its a possibility Laughing

or..
Jodie D. "fam fam! Whats happenin?"
Ryan. *stares at JD with gormless mouth-open thing*
Yaz. "Doctor! your face! its gurning incontrollably"
JD. "I know, I think I am getting timey wimey messages from Seeth Eefrica".
Graham. "eh?"
JD. "yes Graham, your active brain has seen it all, as per. I think it means we are going to have to sort out the Apartheid thing, but not, you know do anyting useful, just hang around not altering nowt, cos, you know, that tv episode in 'Timeless' when shit happens n'stuff"
Yaz. "oh crap, not more Black peeps in need of Great White Jodie Doctor?"
JD. "Come on fam, it will be FUN!"
*groan*

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm

{{{ Laughing  I'm definitely putting my money on the bad guy in the finale being a white bloke! Nod

Lets look at the track record- ep-1 an actual alien!! ep 2- evil white scientists who become the Remnants, um, evil white bandages! ep 3- every white guy bar the one guy who goes to see Sinatra is a white male racist, also main villain of course (why couldn't he be green or something? He's from the future, make him a green alien who hates black people, highlighting the fundamental stupidly in racism) ep 4- Donald Trump ep5- no-one, its just misunderstood alien thing. ep 7- partition, by white Brits ep 8- white people under authority of a white King killing innocent women terrorist ep 9- no bad guy, just a sad universe, but a terrible, I mean awful, white single father.

So yeah my money is defo on white and male for the finale villain!  Nod }}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Well, there's being PC and there's the opposite. 300 makes the nasty perverted Persians a group of pierced black boys fighting against the clean shaved white boy Spartans. PC and the opposite extreme are both equally bad.

There's an easy fix: actually try to write reality. Bad writers can't nail realism. Great writers can mix symbolism in and make it feel real. I'd settle for decent writing...get it real.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:02 pm

{{The problem isn't really that its pc, well its part of the problem, its that its in your face pc.

And that is no surprise, as the vid above somewhere goes into, when you look at the history of the new writers, which are either lacking in genre experience or have the connecting link of being known for writing drama exploring social and gender themes for young adults, or both, you get the result that the sci-fi has been but in the background along with the personality and character of the Doctor and the social and gender themes have been given the foreground and spotlight to dominate.
And the knock on result of that is the stories and the Doctor have been lacking in interest or sci-fi ideas and concepts and poorly told as they are just the vehicle for the message, and with no good story, no good sci-fi an the Doctor reduced to asking what's going on then being told everything, there is nothing much but the social and gender issues left standing, so they seem all the more prominent. }} }}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Like most of classic Star Trek, unfortunately. That was saved by having great characters to work with, and actors who could inhabit those characters. But the writing was actually pretty bad for most of it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:39 am

Wait it's finale time already??

But not enough stuff has happened!

Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.

Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:26 am

My cousin and his fiancee are disturbingly optimistic about this season. Or, rather, satisfied. My cousin didn't much care for Capaldi, for which I fault him a bit but cannot bring myself to outright despise him. But after hearing over dinner how "Rosa" was refreshingly meaningful and the Doctor is really well-written it was all I could do to fight back eye-rolls of such magnitude that they would probably have thrown me out of my seat!

Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.

Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down