All New Who

Page 27 of 27 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27

Go down

Re: All New Who

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am

{{Caught some Cagney and Lacey fairly recently and was pleasantly surprised to find it was still excellent drama well acted and written. THe characters, situations drama and setting remains as well realised as ever.

Unlike current Who- saw this, its supposed to be a supercut of all the best lines from series 11 and the special. Only its more like an endurance test to see if you can make it through to the end and highlights that firstly, there are hardly any good lines compared to previous series, secondly that 13's witterings to herself all the time are as annoying as you think, and thirdly that the best Who drinking game if you really want to get blitzed out your mind within about 10 mins of any episode starting, is to drink anytime 13 looks gormless or does that weird face scrunch thing! You may need an ambulance on standby however if you play along. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:20 am

I got to "2.50" & took a well earned break. The Bin boys were coming round & that was the distraction I needed. She said....at "2.31" ..Im really smart.....??? well how long do you need us to wait before we see it !!. At "1.37" Jodie apologised to Yaz saying she forgot she was there, guess what, EVERYONE has forgotten Yaz & not for a few minutes ! So, basically, someone who between Job centre visits, who had worn out all the job applications for that week decided to put every line spoken in a compilation & call it...….dum dum darrrrr…….. "The Best Lines".. affraid  All this does is highlight how truly awful the script is. Jodie babbles too fast, this constant referring to long dead people as tho theres a huge Café in the sky & she knows them all intimately is annoying !! Stop it ! "Fam" is not the word of the century. It sounds like it should be a male fanny. Ive got 3 daughters & a son I don't call them "Fam". Thanks to that snippet with the Dalek in the last episode we know where exactly where her hearts are located & I can stab her in the right place if this continues because that's how it makes you feel !   The only well said remark is at "6.14" when the guy said about experiencing comprehension deficiency!  YES ! Hallelujah ! my God ! the first sensible person in all of this unholy mess !!

azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Somebody tell Chibbers to make me the next Doctor. Razz I could do it you know. I think Jodie has ruined it for Northern Doctors though. Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:20 pm

I got about 2 minutes in. I think the Pythagoras line was pretty good.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:25 pm

{{Odd you should pick that one Halfy- its pretty much borrowed, referencing historic figures in this way was something 10 occasionally did and in particular 11 and 12. 11 most of all was known for doing so.

DOCTOR: Don't worry, fat fellow will be doing the rounds later. I'm just scoping out the general chimney-ness. Yes. Nice size, good traction. Big tick.
BENJAMIN: Fat fellow?
DOCTOR: Father Christmas, Santa Claus or, as I've always known him, Jeff.
BOY: There's no such person as Father Christmas.
DOCTOR: Oh, yeah?
(The Doctor produces an old photograph.)
DOCTOR: Me and Father Christmas, Frank Sinatra's hunting lodge, 1952. See him at the back with the blonde? Albert Einstein. The three of us together. Brrm. Watch out. Okay? Keep the faith. Stay off the naughty list.

- A Christmas Carol

11 had a thing for hanging out in 50's Hollywood with the Bratpack and got accidentally married to Marilyn Monroe in a Vegas Chapel after singing a duet with Sinatra! None of which we see, its all offscreen shenanigans just referenced and built up over a series of humorous throwaway lines. Heres another one from Vampires in Venice-

DOCTOR: Venezia. La Serenissima. Impossible city. Preposterous city. Founded by refugees running from Attila the Hun. It was just a collection of little wooden huts in the middle of the marsh, but became one of the most powerful cities in the world. Constantly being invaded, constantly flooding, constantly just beautiful. Ah, you got to love Venice. So many people did. Byron, Napoleon, Casanova. Ooo, that reminds me. 1580. That's all right. Casanova doesn't get born for a hundred and forty five years. Don't want to run into him. I owe him a chicken.
RORY: You owe Casanova a chicken?
DOCTOR: Long story. We had a bet.

or this from Town Called Mercy-

[size=13]DOCTOR: That's not right.
RORY: It's a street lamp.
DOCTOR: An electric street lamp about ten years too early.
RORY: It's only a few years out.
DOCTOR: That's what you said when you left your phone charger in Henry the Eighth's en-suite.
[/size]

So the best line you like so far is something he nicked from previous showrunners Smile (and doesnt do as well) }}

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:42 pm

{{This isn't short but it is a timely reminder of how far things have fallen in so short a time.
Dialogue is better, emotional stakes are higher, a central performer who commands the role and every line, companions you give a toss about, and even in this you can feel the weight of the material, the variety and breath of subjects, ideas, experience it explores and delves into- where is the meat in series 11?- where's the content?- what was it supposed to be about? Mad }}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:41 pm

What a difference ! the quality is palpable. Capaldi instantly put a smile on my face, I relaxed & I believed...in...him.

Capaldi is Velvet, Jodie is polyester
Capaldi is Bernini, Jodie is Tracy Emin
Capaldi is bespoke hand made furniture, Jodie is DFS on a Sale day.
In such a short time span it begs the question of how could it have sunk so low, who allowed this travesty to unwind. I cannot lie peacefully over this. I may not know every character, every story line & every word ever uttered but, Dr Who grew up with me, it was always there with me, its so much a part of my life that you dare get it so bad, as it is now, & you deserve to be blindfolded at dawn & shot.

azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:27 am

{{Thing is you can do the same with a vid for 9 or 10 or 11.
They all seem comparably miles above Chibnal era.

I am not an RTD era fan, but that is because I was not interested in exploring the things RTD was- the Doctor in a romantic relationship with his companion for example, or the domestic side to companions lives being a large feature. But these are differences in liking something, not a complaint that RTD couldn't write.

His era gave us Blink, The Empty Child, Midnight, Turn Left, Family of Blood, Waters of Mars among others which would stand out as excellent episodes in any series of Who past or present.  Characters are well written and rounded, stakes are suitably high when needed, it was new yet respected the shows heritage, companions always have stuff to do, affect events and the Doctor and form relationships of meaning.

Its direction and RTD's tendency to hand wave solutions out of thin air might not have been to my tastes but compared to Chibnal era its a writing masterclass. Even when it comes to including diversity.
I can't help but think that whilst RTD gave us Captain Jack as a omni-sexual character who'd shag just about anything of any sex and species so long as it was capable of saying yes and had some sort of pulse, if he were a Chibnal character that feature would be all there would be to him and all they'd show or focus on. Whereas with RTD it was an aspect of Jack but not by far the most interesting thing about him (mind you to write a Captain Jack Chibnal would have to capable of writing a fun character, and on the evidence he doesn't do fun. }}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:09 pm

I think Turn Left is my all time favourite Who episode, if I had to choose just one. closely followed by Blink.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:09 am

The Empty Child would have to be my fave....

From "The True Tale of the Un-magical Coal Scuttle."
Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:51 am

couple of intriguing Big Finish developments:

Rose Tyler will shortly be returning in her own audio drama spinoff!:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/billie-piper-reprises-rose-tyler

- Can't say I was a hge fan of Rose or series 2, but this was going to happen sooner or later, and it will be interesting to see how they develop her family dynamic without the Doctor, and in a parallel universe, also nice to see Clive return he was an interesting character and i think New Who's very first death(?) all the way back in 2005 in 'Rose'...

Also hearing rumours Big Finish are going to resurrect the 'Doctor Who: The Lost Stories' range in the next year, this range adapted to audio drama various written/drafted/submitted but never filmed scripts and storylines for the Classic series, the range ended a few years ago, but it was known at the time there were several other scripts they had wanted to adapt but had been unable to due to scheduling/budget reasons.

intriguing....

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 pm

{{ Ive listened to some of the previous Lost Stories, mainly 6 and 4, and really enjoyed them overall. I'd be happy for more.

Will be interesting if they ever get to the modern era and lost stories }}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:17 am

{{Irony abounds in the Whoverse right now.

Rotten Tomatoes which currently has user reviews for series 11 at an abysmal 22% has conversely awarded the series its top award as the stand out hit sci-fi show of last year! (thanks to the stupidly high critics reviews).

And Jodie has been nominated for a NTA (National Television Award) for her portrayal of the Doctor.
Now given her portrayal consists largely of puling faces portraying various degrees of idiocy in a series utterly lacking in any dramatic conflict for her whatsoever, and the fact Capaldi the best actor to ever inhabit the role never got so much as a nomination in 3 series and with critically acclaimed episodes like Heaven Sent where he is the sole performer for an hour, and this is only Jodies first series its very hard not see this as 'here have an award for being a woman'. Mad
It will be a complete travesty and injustice if she wins. }}}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:36 pm

wot? Suspect  an award for gurning and being tedious and boring. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 am

Would I be right in thinking that the new Doctor is not favoured?

From "The True Tale of the Un-magical Coal Scuttle."
Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:06 am

Not flavoured either. There's no spice in her character, Hurr durr

If she gets any kind of award for this amateurish babbling IL go dig up my daffodils & eat the bulbs. I agree with Petty, I loved Capaldi as Dr Who, he left far too soon, the time flew by. Even Sylvester McCoy was better than Whittaker in my view. She mumbles, she pulls dumb ass faces just too often & I think subconsciously she's trying to be a female Matt Smith because she knows that character worked & was a hit & loved by many. She reminds me of JK Rowling, limited imagination & pinches ideas from else where. I may not have read the books but, Ive seen the films & too many things remind me of "Ive seen/read that in another story". I find it laughable when Joddie heaves herself up & tries to be threatening HA ! She frightens me not. Shes more like an angry chavvy neighbour down any British street, all gob & no glory. If I were an Alien baddie Id just shoot her & be done with it & carry on. Maybe we'd get a more productive Dr

azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 pm

Would I be right in thinking that the new Doctor is not favoured?
- Orwell

{{Hard to tell Orwell, but if a character that resembles the Doctor actually turns back up in the show I'll let you know! Mad }}

Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Yesterday at 3:46 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Irony abounds in the Whoverse right now.

Rotten Tomatoes which currently has user reviews for series 11 at an abysmal 22% has conversely awarded the series its top award as the stand out hit sci-fi show of last year! (thanks to the stupidly high critics reviews).

And Jodie has been nominated for a NTA (National Television Award) for her portrayal of the Doctor.
Now given her portrayal consists largely of puling faces portraying various degrees of idiocy in a series utterly lacking in any dramatic conflict for her whatsoever, and the fact Capaldi the best actor to ever inhabit the role never got so much as a nomination in 3 series and with critically acclaimed episodes like Heaven Sent where he is the sole performer for an hour, and this is only Jodies first series its very hard not see this as 'here have an award for being a woman'. Mad
It will be a complete travesty and injustice if she wins. }}}
My cousin, for example, doesn't like Capaldi's grim moments and I understand that. But, yes, in terms of quality acting, Jodie getting an NTA for this season over Capaldi getting one for Heaven Sent is transparently idiotic.

Where did I eat bread and cheese?
Search inside, stay indoors,
Look up and find the secret is yours.
Your castle your fort,
Or so you thought.
The way is in four trees.
The way is in Boar in Brockhall
Under ale, under bread, under cheese.

-Mossflower, by Brian Jacques.
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down