Hitchhikers Guide- an experiment in adaptation.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Hitchhikers Guide- an experiment in adaptation. - Page 3 Empty Re: Hitchhikers Guide- an experiment in adaptation.

Post by halfwise on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Yes, it's all quite clear now. I like the line " Rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty." Feels very much like Adams.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Hitchhikers Guide- an experiment in adaptation. - Page 3 Empty Re: Hitchhikers Guide- an experiment in adaptation.

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm

{{ Thats because it is Very Happy Its what Vroomfondle demands when they burst in on Deep Thought- and as I made this connected to those philosophers in the opening by Halgrunt mentioning them by name, I thought it would be amusing if that particular line had become like their Holy mantra since. Very Happy }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:41 pm

{{ Oh and I should thank you Halfy for your excellent application of crabbit Twisted Evil - was something was bothering you, you voiced your crabbitity at it in a manner which was both clear about the crabbit yet not negative for its own sake, then I saw what was making you crabbit, and that got me crabbit as I was hoping, structurally at least, that it was done Mad so I had to fix it to stop being crabbit about it. Now your not crabbit about it, I'm not crabbit about it, and the thing itself is improved as a result making the world a infinitesimally better place. cheers

Textbook crabbit use that Nod

And while I'm here, individual points aside how do you feel now about the broader experiment of focusing on the plot in chronological order and on the characters and loosing the Guide entries for the sake of the visual medium and above all the pacing?

Same general question to anyone else when they catch up too. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:45 pm

I'll always feel the guide is intrinsic, and since I liked it in the film and you didn't there will never be agreement there.

Not entirely sure what you're getting at with putting the plot in chronological order. The original was not that far out of whack in that respect. Only a minor difference.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:39 pm

{{ I mean taking all the flashback stuff, of which there is quite a bit, Trillian leaving with Zaphod, taking the mice, leaving her bag, Arthur and the council meeting (though that's more restored from radio than moved), how Ford behaves at parties, Zaphod's brain examination, parts of the conspiracy etc being put in a narrative that goes from A-to B in a straight line. Whether that works successfully without breaking the flow of the original narrative or not?

you didn't there will never be agreement there.- Halfy

Ah no, perhaps not, but I was hoping you may have softened at least somewhat to the idea having seen how it effects the result.}}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:33 pm

{{ I'm going to continue this, until the end of Restaurant (book) my reasoning being that firstly that the point at which there ceases to be, multiple versions of the material to draw on, after that the only source for adaption are the books- and they've never been adapted save for radio post Adams death. So getting to that point means Ive covered all the major changes, choices and set ups I am going to be doing.
Secondly for anyone reading it here the end of restraunt means completing the main plot of the first two books- the conspiracy Zaphod is part of and the destruction of Earth to prevent the Question and Answer being found. So it wraps it up nicely for folk here. Whilst there are loose ends- Fenchurch etc there is a break in time of several years between restraunt and the next book and the plot is largely a new one tied back to earlier events here and there (such as Fenchurch and the plan to destroy earth) .
And by end of restaurant, as the main plot will be complete, the basic idea of seeing if the story and characters can stand alone without the Guide entries as the framework will also be complete, and a better idea be able to be formed of it works or not.
That's the plan anyway.}}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:36 pm

As to chronological order, I think it works well enough, and probably better than the original for a script format. Adams was more working off the cuff, and in the book I hazard he didn't want to disturb the established flow of things too much.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 pm

{{ He got braver for want of a better word as he went on with the books. But Hitchhikers in particular is largely just a copy and paste with the added excellent sublime prose descriptions, of the first four radio episodes with inserted material about the conspiracy etc put into available gaps in the narratives.

A very good example of this is a scene I just adapted, its actually from the end of Hitchikers but I've put at the start of Restaurant, and its a crucial information scene, as well as setting up a great few scenes we never actually get because its all told in simplified brief flashback by Zaphod, so we only get a description of the set up.
And I'm willing to bet you'd be hard pushed to remember it from the books, despite its narrative importance.

In the original radio version on Magrathea, Zaphod, Ford and Trillian get captured in the tunnels- when we next see them is when Arthur is taken to meet the mice and they are all there having a slap up meal.

In the book we get an extra scene after the capture, just before Arthur gets taken to the mice, where Zaphod wakes up on a planet of gold, to only be informed by Trillian and Ford its just a VR catalogue for custom planets. And while they wait to find out their fate Zaphod tells them a story, of when he and Ford were kids and they rigged scooter for deep space, chased and boarded a mega-freighter then using toy guns held it up and demanded all their conkers. The captain took them under his wing for a bit, showed them amazing stuff, then turned them over to the police. That captain went on to become president of the galaxy and shortly before his death came to Zaphod, set up the conspiracy to get Zaphod President and to steal the Heart of Gold.
All that is given in about a page of inserted material into that one gap in the narrative where we dont see Zaphod and co for a bit. Even though its the reveal of how the conspiracy started and one of the major players in it, the former President before Zaphod.

This is absolutely typical of how Adams did things in Hitchhikers and to a similar degree in Restaurant, though there he starts making bigger changes with the order and events and cherry picks things from the radio version whilst ditching entirely the original narrative (the Ludmillia clones, planet of the shoe shops, the Arthur statue throwing the Nutramatic cup (I really want to finds away to get those scene from the radio play in the statue back in- they are among my personal favourites), the giant talking birds etc.).
It works in getting the information to the viewer, but I dont think its how you could do it for tv, where that story is obviously got to be told in scenes.
Same with the earlier Zaphod recounting his head examination to discover his own signature on his brains- that clearly had to be a scene as well I think.
And thats the basic process- picking back out all the little additions and then finding out where they go in the chronology or adding them into the current one as their own scenes. }}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Petty you should send your adaptations to film/TV companies. If I were you I would find out what the next big thing in publishing is, something that really grabs your interest, maybe sci-fi genres, and do a presentation adaptation and post it to literally everyone in the field. Get there before other people do. You have a talent for this and its a difficult thing to do well imo. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:43 pm

{{ Thanks Figg, I appreciate that. I think once Ive done as far as end of restraunt (as its same point the previous BBC version reached) I'm going to bundle it up with a brief summary of the why of it and see what happens. I very much suspect nothing. But no harm in doing it. }}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3