Forumshire chat server

Go down

Forumshire chat server Empty Forumshire chat server

Post by Eldy on Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:08 am

Forumshire Does Discord!

...and not in the sense that we sow discord--though that may or may not have happened at some points in the past. silent

Chatting with people off-site has long been an important part of the forum experience for me. It's played less of a role with Forumshire, probably in part because our tone is often already chatty on the forums, but I really value the many long conversations I've had with Forumshirans through other mediums. I don't have nearly everyone here on FB, though, and to be honest Messenger leaves a lot to be desired. So I've been playing around with the idea of creating a Forumshire Discord (chat) server for easier real-time text and voice messaging.

This is an experiment that I got Amarië's blessing for. I think it could be a nice extension of the forum, but whether anything comes of it is up to you guys and whether you find it useful. One concern that both Petty and I share is that it might cannibalize activity from the forum (if people join), but I think it can fill a different and complementary niche. And given the overall trend of activity on Tolkien forums (a much larger trend than just us), I feel mixing things up is worth a shot. If anything comes of this server, we can always reassess in the future.

For anyone who has not used Discord before, it's a free chat service similar to IRC; old IM programs like AIM, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo; and the Planet Tolkien chatroom, for those who remember that. It can be used in your browser, or through an app for both desktop computers and smartphones. You need a Discord account to join, and one of the nice perks is that you don't need to pick a unique username. Rather, your name will be followed by a # and a unique four digit code. You can also change your nickname as it appears in an individual server without changing your overall username.

You can join the server by clicking the first link below. You can register for Discord by clicking the second link.

https://discord.gg/mxFxfBC

https://discordapp.com/register

Anyone with the link (ie, anyone reading this thread, including guests) can join the server, so I ask that forum members who join mention doing so in this thread, so I can tag people as verified. If you use a different name on Discord than on the forum, please also mention that (by PM if you prefer). Further details can be found in the server's #announcements channel.

I hope this is fun! The voice chat feature in particular adds an option we haven't had before. Whether by text or voice, though, I hope to get to chat with more of you guys in real time, including people with whom I've never previously had the chance. I love you

Last edited by Eldy on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Forumshire chat server Empty Re: Forumshire chat server

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:16 am

Cool cool cool, I've thought before about voice chat options with forumshire peeps

"'But whereas we have drunk with thee, who seemest to be a man of lineage, and thou hast been blithe with us, we will tell thee that we have seen one riding south along the Greenway, clad in a coat as green as the way, with the leafless tree done on his breast. So nigh to him we were that we heard his cry as he sped along, as ye may hear the lapwing whining, for he said: "POINT AND EDGE, POINT AND EDGE! THE RED WATER AMIDST OF THE HILLS!" In my lifetime such a man hath, to my knowledge, been seen thrice before; and after each sight of him followed evil days and the death of men.'"

-The Well at the World's End, William Morris
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy on Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:37 am

Voice chat is definitely paying off so far! I had a really great hour-long conversation tonight with Forest about a whole bunch of stuff. Looking forward to more in the future--and hopefully with others too! Thumbs Up
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:47 am

Indeed, it was most perspicacious! Razz

"'But whereas we have drunk with thee, who seemest to be a man of lineage, and thou hast been blithe with us, we will tell thee that we have seen one riding south along the Greenway, clad in a coat as green as the way, with the leafless tree done on his breast. So nigh to him we were that we heard his cry as he sped along, as ye may hear the lapwing whining, for he said: "POINT AND EDGE, POINT AND EDGE! THE RED WATER AMIDST OF THE HILLS!" In my lifetime such a man hath, to my knowledge, been seen thrice before; and after each sight of him followed evil days and the death of men.'"

-The Well at the World's End, William Morris
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:11 am

{{Joined, twice I think- it seems to have got confused between browser and my app version Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:12 am

Good to have you aboard!
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:18 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Joined, twice I think- it seems to have got confused between browser and my app version Mad  }}

Oh aye? Now you use discord?!... lol
Nagual
Nagual
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:00 pm

{{ No, but you bugging me over it is the only reason I already had the app installed if that's any consolation, I have what is now becoming a growing number of crabbit-inducing comms programs that never quite work properly, from facebook to discord and steam along the way. Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down