Artisitc Merits

Page 42 of 44 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Go down

Re: Artisitc Merits

Post by azriel on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:30 pm

I saw that pic on facebook & I immediately thought of LOTR's when I saw it. In one sense you could see it as a compliment that someone liked your pic enough to pinch it but, me ? Id be fecking annoyed. I would have been nicer to bloodywell ASK ?

azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:36 pm

If not ask, at least attribute.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm rather confused by the lighting - is the peak in back lighter because of snow cover?  Can't be that it's lit up while the others aren't: they are too dark be due to cloud cover.- Halfy

{{Here's the tab for my sun settings-

as you can see its not high up the sky relatively, at only 14 degrees or so above the horizon, this lets the light get  a bit 'under' the clouds in the distance.
But because of the thickness of the clouds everything was basically still dark with just some light flecking the clouds- the default sun strength is 1 so I next cranked that up to 5 so that much more light would get through.
I left soft shadows off because that would have weakened the edges of the sunbeams in the distance and I wanted them to remain quite defined.

Next was the cloud layer itself-

First thing I did with the clouds was to hit the seed button a few times and let it randomly generate a seed to base the clouds on (within the cloud parameters I had set for it) until I got them more or less where I felt they needed to be.
Its quite low lying as I wanted it to hug the land and just leave a strip of light between and its quite deep (thicker you make it longer it takes to render and higher you need the cloud detail settings to render cleanly which in turn slows render times down even more!  Mad )
Next step was to take the cloud density down from 1 to 0.4 until enough ambient light was filtering through the cloud cover to strike the mountain in the distance and finally I took the cloud coverage down to -0.05 which created enough gaps in the cloud cover for shafts of sun to get through.
I could also have adjusted the falloff setting- this is how much the cloud disperses from the centre outwards to its edge but as I had got what I wanted by that point it was simply not necessary- but its another option in altering the clouds where needed.
And that- which was about an hour of making tiny tweaks, test renders, more tiny tweeks- is my dear Halfy, in a nutshell, how I got the light to only hit the distant mountain not the foreground! }}}

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:52 pm; edited 3 times in total

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:45 pm

see it as a compliment that someone liked your pic enough to pinch it but, me ? Id be fecking annoyed- Azriel

{{I'm kind of both- flattered and crabbit about it! That's a hard emotion for a Scotshobbit to pull off!! Shocked Very Happy Mad - see I dont know where to put my face!!

Halfy- yup Id have accepted it being attributed to me- maybe it is for all I know- cant seem to find this art studio online anywhere!}}}}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:09 pm

You may want to start affixing signatures to your work.

But I see, you had the sun cutting at such a steep angle through the clouds that they were effectively close to infinite thickness, so when there was a gap the contrast was striking.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:26 pm

{{Well, that's the short way to put it, yes!! Mad }}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:40 pm

So the last time I posted this picture it was taken in a darkened room.  Here's a picture taken in sunshine...in fact I had never seen it in sunshine before this was posted (the young artist who led the painting event still has them and has now mounted them.  Gotta figure out where.)

quite a bit brighter than the previous (last page). I like the trees better in this lit version, but I think I prefer the sky and ground in the darker version. This is a bit lurid.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:13 pm

{{Amazing what a difference lighting makes! I like this more actually- its less 'muddy' than the first one for want of a better word, the trees work better here as the greens pop more }}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Yeah, much less muddy.  But the ground should be somewhat muddy which is why I preferred the dark version for that.  The sky I can go either way on, but the trees are definitely more satisfying in this light.  I like the yellow undertones of the forest, which I've never actually seen before, even when I painted it! Shocked I thought it was light green at the time.

And those things that look like crows around the treetops?  Let's just go ahead and say they are crows.  Much better than what I was trying to do.  We'll just keep mum on that.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:24 pm

{{ I was going with crows already Halfy- your secret is safe Smile }}}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 pm

I really like it, its so alive Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:00 am

I showed it to a friend and she dismissed with one glance saying the dogs are too big. Laughing

When compared to the trees I suppose they may be as big as large bears.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:08 pm

pish & posh ! Art is how you see it Laughing If it makes you happy then the goal has been achieved

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:17 pm

azriel wrote:pish & posh ! Art is how you see it Laughing  If it makes you happy then the goal has been achieved

Exactly. Call it art. Call it naive art. I do not need to call it anything, I just like it. Very Happy

From "The True Tale of the Un-magical Coal Scuttle."
Orwell
Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Very insightful comments, Petty. Nod I appreciate the economy of language.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:32 pm

{{A picture speaks a thousand words, especially if is already that time of day when your slurring your words drunken pub   }}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Actually the picture hadn't appeared when I made my remark.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Love the picture Smile but for me Id be rid of the bright sunlight by the Lighthouse. It speaks of hope & at this point you want to feel there's no hope. Just me tho Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 pm

or make it redder so it looks like a sunset.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 pm

I actually like it as it is.... if it is an attack in the morning light, that’s what it is. Very Happy

Orwell
Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:04 am

{{I didn't want it to be entirely oppressive and without hope, as the book is not without hope. And the birds are there in the light because they represent natures final triumph over the Martians, as birds are the first outward sign we get that the aliens have fallen. Here they are fleeing the Martians, but them being in the last bit of sunlight left in the sky indicates they will return (see, when I get drunk enough I do think about these things before I start! drunken )
Not to mention changing the sun colour to be redder would change the lighting across the whole piece and it took me about two hours of tweaking to get that big ominous dark cloud the way I wanted it with hints of purple and red in it so there was  no way after that I was changing the lighting again! Mad

(and on a technical note reddening the sun would make the overall light levels lower and I'd probably have to add light sources for each of the Martian tripod hoods to show the detail and the green eyes, as I've done in previous pictures, problem there is for every light source you add your seriously complicating the render time as it has to work out the light scattering in the atmosphere from each one. With the Heat Ray, the lights and glow from the explosion already in it this one already was doing a lot of work in that regard (that's why the lighthouse doesn't have a light in it, to save on another light source and increasing what was already going to be a lengthy render time).

But I quite like the scene so I might use it again if I can find a new interesting angle on it, and if I do that I might muck about with the light again next time and see how it looks redder and entirely ominous. Nod  }}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 am

I kind of like the scene to be naturalistic, with the Martians part of every other day. For me that makes the artisans more real. But if folk what their scenes to be dramatic, or romantic, or science fictiony, or poetic, or full of pathos... anyway, what folk want is what folk want... me, I like realism, the suspension of disbelief.

Orwell
Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi pls follow this instagram: https://www.instagram.com/norcing_dolls/

Made two more dolls!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Love the green one ! Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 44 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next