Seen any good films lately?

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 am

You ever seen The Pisoner Ringdrotten? (60's version not the terrible remake).



Absolutely brilliant and suitably mindboggling. Very Happy

_________________
Pure Publications, The Tower of Lore and the Former Admin's Office are Reasonably Proud to Present-



A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.


- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 40702
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Ringdrotten on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 am

Never heard of it in fact, but I like films that mess with my mind, so might just give it a go Very Happy

_________________
“The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want for nothing. He makes me lie down in the green pastures. He greases up my head with oil. He gives me kung-fu in the face of my enemies. Amen”. - Tom Cullen


avatar
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Posts : 4495
Join date : 2011-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:27 am

Its actually a tv series.
First ep right here for your pleasure.




_________________
Pure Publications, The Tower of Lore and the Former Admin's Office are Reasonably Proud to Present-



A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.


- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 40702
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by chris63 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 am

Watched Robocop lastnight, first time in ages. Still a ptetty good film.
Also watched Robocop 2, rubbish Neutral
avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7620
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:54 am

Its a weird one Robocop 2. I can't watch it as a Robocop film, its rubbish- but if I watch it as a Judge Dredd story it works sort of fine. Odd you might think but it was written by Frank Miller who was writing Dredd at the time, once you know that and if you know a bit about Dredd its clearly a Dredd story shoehorned into Robocop. Robocop acts, sounds and on the bike even looks like Dredd. The gangs look and sound like classic Mega City juve gangs and even the bad guy and the drug would fit perfectly into the Dredd universe.

_________________
Pure Publications, The Tower of Lore and the Former Admin's Office are Reasonably Proud to Present-



A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.


- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 40702
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by chris63 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:58 am

Robocop 2 Dredd-full Laughing Laughing
avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7620
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:59 am

lol!

_________________
Pure Publications, The Tower of Lore and the Former Admin's Office are Reasonably Proud to Present-



A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.


- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 40702
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Eldorion on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:12 am

I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes with my brother recently after catching a trailer for it before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and thinking it looked better than any preqel/reboot of a forty-year-old franchise last touched by Tim Burton had any right to be. Very Happy



A lot of the other trailers are pretty crappy and make it out to be either a parable against scientific advancement or a really cheesy action movie. It's neither. The human characters play a key role (obviously) but they're not the focus. It's largely a character drama about the main chimp, Caesar (played by Andy Serkis and digitally rendered by Weta -- Petty, if you want to see special effects serving the story, than this is a movie for you), his unique position as an intelligent ape and his relationships both with humans and with other apes. The premise invites cheesiness and stupidity (just look at Tim Burton's remake of the original Planet of the Apes, which my brother DVRed thinking it was the original), but I was impressed by Rise's ability to avoid that. It was a really entertaining sci-fi movie with a lot of heart and a surprising amount of poignancy, so I would, surprised as I am, recommend it to anyone who enjoys movies like that. Very Happy

Just be sure to stay after the credits begin, because there is a crucial scene that explains the end and gives a much better resolution about a minute into the credits. I didn't stay after that so I don't know if there's anything at the very end of the credits, though. Speaking of the ending, I do want to note a couple thinks about that which bothered me, so naturally, spoilers. The movie didn't really have a choice about setting up the apes' conquest of earth since it's a prequel, and while I thought their solution was a little contrived, I'm hard-pressed to think of something better.

Spoiler:
Really, a global pandemic of a disease fatal to humans but not apes is one of the very few ways in which the power difference between apes and humans could be lessened enough that the apes could win a war, even after their victory in the first battle at San Francisco.

Also, I was a little bit annoyed by

Spoiler:
Caesar's sudden development of human speech, but my brother pointed out that apes do have vocal cords and (assuming he's correct, the biology nut that he is) I don't really have any complaint.

So yeah, an awesome and unexpected gem of a film. Don't let your preconceptions about what a reboot/prequel can amount to stop you from seeing it! cheers
avatar
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Posts : 23311
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 24
Location : Maryland, United States

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by chris63 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 am

avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7620
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:44 am

On your second spoiler point Eldo as far as I know the problem is with the positioning not vocal cords. The human throat is so positioned that the air flow is highly conductive to the production of complex sounds by being able to very precicely force the air over the tongue. As far as I know this a condition unique to walking upright on two legs as its this which determines our skull poisiiton and therefore also our throat position.

_________________
Pure Publications, The Tower of Lore and the Former Admin's Office are Reasonably Proud to Present-



A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.


- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 40702
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Orwell on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:37 am

Eldorion wrote:I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes with my brother recently after catching a trailer for it before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and thinking it looked better than any preqel/reboot of a forty-year-old franchise last touched by Tim Burton had any right to be. Very Happy



A lot of the other trailers are pretty crappy and make it out to be either a parable against scientific advancement or a really cheesy action movie. It's neither. The human characters play a key role (obviously) but they're not the focus. It's largely a character drama about the main chimp, Caesar (played by Andy Serkis and digitally rendered by Weta -- Petty, if you want to see special effects serving the story, than this is a movie for you), his unique position as an intelligent ape and his relationships both with humans and with other apes. The premise invites cheesiness and stupidity (just look at Tim Burton's remake of the original Planet of the Apes, which my brother DVRed thinking it was the original), but I was impressed by Rise's ability to avoid that. It was a really entertaining sci-fi movie with a lot of heart and a surprising amount of poignancy, so I would, surprised as I am, recommend it to anyone who enjoys movies like that. Very Happy

Just be sure to stay after the credits begin, because there is a crucial scene that explains the end and gives a much better resolution about a minute into the credits. I didn't stay after that so I don't know if there's anything at the very end of the credits, though. Speaking of the ending, I do want to note a couple thinks about that which bothered me, so naturally, spoilers. The movie didn't really have a choice about setting up the apes' conquest of earth since it's a prequel, and while I thought their solution was a little contrived, I'm hard-pressed to think of something better.

Spoiler:
Really, a global pandemic of a disease fatal to humans but not apes is one of the very few ways in which the power difference between apes and humans could be lessened enough that the apes could win a war, even after their victory in the first battle at San Francisco.

Also, I was a little bit annoyed by

Spoiler:
Caesar's sudden development of human speech, but my brother pointed out that apes do have vocal cords and (assuming he's correct, the biology nut that he is) I don't really have any complaint.

So yeah, an awesome and unexpected gem of a film. Don't let your preconceptions about what a reboot/prequel can amount to stop you from seeing it! cheers

My daughter saw it and liked it! Shocked

_________________
"Skirts!" cried our respectable Master Odo. "Skirts! And they have the temerity to call them 'kilts'.... Eru darn my socks!"

From "The True Tale of the Un-magical Coal Scuttle."
avatar
Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Posts : 8679
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 99
Location : Ozhobbitstan

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by chris63 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Watched Beowulf for the second time, was the animated one but it sure looks real.
Anyone seen Beowulf the movie with the live actors, i havnt just wondered whether it was any good.



Is this where Tolkien got his dragon from?
avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7620
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Orwell on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:10 pm

chris63 wrote:Watched Beowulf for the second time, was the animated one but it sure looks real.
Anyone seen Beowulf the movie with the live actors, i havnt just wondered whether it was any good.



Is this where Tolkien got his dragon from?

Good movie?

_________________
"Skirts!" cried our respectable Master Odo. "Skirts! And they have the temerity to call them 'kilts'.... Eru darn my socks!"

From "The True Tale of the Un-magical Coal Scuttle."
avatar
Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Posts : 8679
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 99
Location : Ozhobbitstan

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 am

I liked it depsite it taking some right old liberties- but taken on its own merits as a film it tells an enteraining tale well and you will get sucked in b the outstanding animation along the way. I could have done without some of the more Hollywood slanted action scenes but there is good character development and world building which saves it.

_________________
Pure Publications, The Tower of Lore and the Former Admin's Office are Reasonably Proud to Present-



A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.


- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 40702
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Orwell on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I liked it depsite it taking some right old liberties- but taken on its own merits as a film it tells an enteraining tale well and you will get sucked in b the outstanding animation along the way. I could have done without some of the more Hollywood slanted action scenes but there is good character development and world building which saves it.

I must look for it. In the video stores?

_________________
"Skirts!" cried our respectable Master Odo. "Skirts! And they have the temerity to call them 'kilts'.... Eru darn my socks!"

From "The True Tale of the Un-magical Coal Scuttle."
avatar
Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Posts : 8679
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 99
Location : Ozhobbitstan

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50 am

Yeah will be.

Talking of Beowulf this is an excellent reading of it (english version) by Julian Glover.




_________________
Pure Publications, The Tower of Lore and the Former Admin's Office are Reasonably Proud to Present-



A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.


- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 40702
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Orwell on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:13 pm

I have to drive my daughter home. I'll check this later on. Daughters always know how to annoy their fathers when they're having fun. (Come to think of it, so do wives Suspect ).

_________________
"Skirts!" cried our respectable Master Odo. "Skirts! And they have the temerity to call them 'kilts'.... Eru darn my socks!"

From "The True Tale of the Un-magical Coal Scuttle."
avatar
Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Posts : 8679
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 99
Location : Ozhobbitstan

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by chris63 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:52 am

Saw Harry Potter, DH part 2. Its not bad, but loved the 3D.
I no some of you dont like the idea of 3D, but i recon The Hobbits going to look awesome.
avatar
chris63
Adventurer

Posts : 7620
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Perth, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Tinuviel on Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Just found out about a movie called "Children of Men" and watched alot of clips from it. It seems really awesome!!!!!!


_________________
"I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author." -JRRT

avatar
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Posts : 1937
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Must have missed that one- looks intriguing I shall have to track it down.

_________________
Pure Publications, The Tower of Lore and the Former Admin's Office are Reasonably Proud to Present-



A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.


- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view



*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
avatar
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Posts : 40702
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 46
Location : Scotshobbitland

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Ally on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:47 pm

Is it one of those films where men suddenly find the ability to reproduce and to be able to come pregnant? Not that I've actually heard too many of those films of course. Razz

_________________
SHUT UP CAROLINE.
avatar
Ally
Wannabe Beard

Posts : 2758
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 21
Location : It's nice when you have enough hair to use as a pillow.

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Tinuviel on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:49 am

Nope! It's more like one of them deep movies if you know what I mean, dark, but deep.

_________________
"I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author." -JRRT

avatar
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Posts : 1937
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

How To Train Your Dragon was good...

Post by The Wobbit A Parody on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:18 am

In fact I really enjoyed it! The variety of dragons was fun, the massiveness of the Vikings was appropriate (although the Scot accents were weird, coming from Scandinavians), and the story was charming. The best dragon movie I can recall ever seeing. I wasn't big on the Dragonheart.
avatar
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Posts : 244
Join date : 2011-06-07
Location : Chicago

http://thewobbitaparody.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Eldorion on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:29 am

I've heard that Children of Men is amazing but I've not seen it myself. However, I recently finally got to watch A History of Violence, starring Viggo "Aragorn" Mortensen, which I've wanted to see for a while. It wasn't quite what I expected but I enjoyed it and the more I've thought about it the better it seems to me. Very Happy

avatar
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Posts : 23311
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 24
Location : Maryland, United States

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Viggo has done some wild movies

Post by The Wobbit A Parody on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:23 am

A History Of Violence which was CRAZY scary: those guys he kills in the diner were hideous. Viggo also did Eastern Promises, where he again played a total badass.

Children Of Men was good. It had an almost documentary feel about it at points.

-Paul
avatar
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Posts : 244
Join date : 2011-06-07
Location : Chicago

http://thewobbitaparody.com

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum